• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bourdain Identity

Fat Guy

Note from a screaming copy editor - You guys don't know the half of it; imagine every other place you see a comma, there's an em-dash instead. I knew "apparatae" was wrong, but somehow, it seemed to fit better than "apparatuses."

Just plain "apparatus" is an alternative form of the plural that would work better than -uses.

"French shoot" is a very useful phrase.  There are a lot of French shoots in one's daily interactions with fellow humanoids, aren't there?

I've got a friend who gets this great look of concern on her face while pushing the close button on elevators to keep out people coming at the last minute.

Heh heh. That must be the look I wear when pretending to help push a revolving door.

At the risk of sounding like a grade-nine school girl, I just wanna say that I find it incredibly cool that Mr. Bourdain just mingles with us lowly folk frequently. I mean, imagine walking into the laundromat and shooting the shit with Thomas Keller one evening and realizing it's actually pretty common. It seems very surreal to me.

At the risk of repeating something that has been said a million times previously, I just wanna say thanks so much for hangin’ out with us, Tony.

Sounds like The Amazing Race, only with better food and no million-dollar prize waiting at the end.

("I can't understand it! Tony said something about 'going to get some mangoes' and we haven't seen him since. . . .")

foodie52: Hey, EVERYBODY on FoodTV cooks. Very few of them go out and put their asses in mortal jeopardy for everyone's amusement. Cut the man some slack.

I'm trying to picture what kind of result I'd get if I could make Bourdain swap shows for a few weeks with Dave Attell from "Insomniac" on Comedy Central. The two shows have more than a few similarities, and I think Bourdain and Attell would get along well.

Edited by Deacon (log)

am i the only one who thinks bourdain's shtick is getting old?

first he claims in the preface of kitchen confidental that, and i paraphrase, "its not likei have my own show on the food network..."; now he is wondering if he is a tv personality...and hoping he is not....get a grip buddy....you have a show on fodtv...and you are nothing more than a tv personality and author....no one seeks out your steak frites at les halles. thomas keller you are not.

as an aspiring chef, heres to hoping i become famous for my impact on the culinary world...and don't get me wrong, i appreciate the written word...and i am not an emirel basher....at least he knows and accepts the fact that he is a tv personalty. bourdain bites the hand that feeds him.

get ovcer it buddy; your rent, your wife's jewely. your kids college tuition is paid for by the food network....and there is nothing wrong with that. just please accept the fact. dont collect on it and then shun it....for that whole shtick is tired.

yours truly,

jonathan

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

I know exactly how you feel. I too am envious of Tony's talent and success.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think it is a case of "old Schtick"

Tony ( read the Q&A ) has never made any bones of the fact that he considers himself a decent cook who got lucky. That lack of hubris is very refreshing amongst the parade of saps, suckers and ne'er do wells who populate our TV food programming.

He does what he does very well and, no doubt, counts his blessings every morning where as some I could name probably wake up each morning counting how many restaurants they can open in Vegas before the bubble bursts

I don't have a problem with TV chefs/cooks. it's when they begin to think that they matter ( same with pop stars or any other celeb ) that I wish them nothing but bad things

S

bourdain bites the hand that feeds him.

I might have a greater problem with an industry that pays him to bite their hands.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I don't mind his "schtik" provided he does it well, and I believe he does.

At least he's not a Tom Clancy who is off supervising the distribution of video games while hired hacks produce his "novels." He may be sort of a "celebrity chef," but at least he's not trying to con folks into believing he still runs restaurants in NY, New Orleans, Disney World and Vegas like so many others do.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

RE: "Speaking of hotels, you definitely don't want to know how much time we spend talking about lower intestinal activity and the peculiarities of the local plumbing"

An old writers trick. You have now used up one and one-half of the three eternal topics; "Death. Shit, and Dairy Queen Man".

THANX SB

RE: "Speaking of hotels, you definitely don't want to know how much time we spend talking about lower intestinal activity and the peculiarities of the local plumbing"

An old writers trick.  You have now used up one and one-half of the three eternal topics; "Death. Shit, and Dairy Queen Man".

THANX SB

Dairy Queen Man???

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Great article, it was a real treat to check in and see this.

I agree with the "dope den tour" idea, after reading (and seeing) the Morocco episode, I was real curious about the whole lighting up a spliff in the dessert thing. :biggrin:

I am wondering, though, if you have any plans to go back to Les Halles any time soon?

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

Another thing I like about Bourdain is that his weary cynicism actually works to give him credibility. On the rare occasions when he does express unabashed pleasure and admiration over something, you can be sure it is heartfelt. That is the direct opposite of such maniacal travel cheerleaders as, say, that annoyingly chipper woman who does "$40-a-Day" or Samantha Brown on "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. When EVERYTHING generates a big grin, it becomes tiresome and monotonous.

That is the direct opposite of such maniacal travel cheerleaders as, say, that annoyingly chipper woman who does "$40-a-Day" or Samantha Brown on "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. When EVERYTHING generates a big grin, it becomes tiresome and monotonous.

The new grimmer and grittier FN will have a new series of Vic Chanko stalking these gals.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Another thing I like about Bourdain is that his weary cynicism actually works to give him credibility. On the rare occasions when he does express unabashed pleasure and admiration over something, you can be sure it is heartfelt. That is the direct opposite of such maniacal travel cheerleaders as, say, that annoyingly chipper woman who does "$40-a-Day" or Samantha Brown on "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. When EVERYTHING generates a big grin, it becomes tiresome and monotonous.

Rachel Ray is awfully chipper.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Rachel Ray is awfully chipper.

I like Rachel and I like Tony -- worlds apart though they may be.

And I'm still dying to see a show with Rachel and Tony cooking together in Rachel's kitchen.