• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bourdain Identity

Fat Guy

I recently read Bourdain's Typhoid Mary and was totally blown away. (Drat that evil "people who ordered this book also ordered..." thing on Amazon.)

This little book is deeper than you might imagine. I don't want to piss off the author but he is starting to look like a scholar. The research was amazing. Just a look at the bibliography and the acknowledgements is impressive for a 145 or so page read. And it shows. Not only were the facts presented in a creditable way but the author also did a creditable job of "getting into her head". I am impressed. And I am not easily impressed.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

One of the challenges of running a Webzine that's five days old is finding decent writers. Here's the best we could do for now:

Bourdain on Bourdain

Heh, surely we can do better for guest writers.... :wink:

Bourdain is a sorry wanker, he insists he's too cool for FoodTV but has nooooo problem cashing their checks. He also has no problem acting like the rock-star chef he claims to detest. I've seen a couple of his shows, between the oooh-i'm-so-cool act and his constant whining, only a moron would buy his Keith-Richards exterior as genuine.

Bourdain, you're pushing 60, or at least you look like you are. Give it up, you're not cool, you're just a poseur. Emeril may be corny, but at least he's not constantly trying to pretend he's still 25.

Hey look! Hilda signed up for an eGullet account!

Bourdain is a sorry wanker, he insists he's too cool for FoodTV but has nooooo problem cashing their checks. He also has no problem acting like the rock-star chef he claims to detest. I've seen a couple of his shows, between the oooh-i'm-so-cool act and his constant whining, only a moron would buy his Keith-Richards exterior as genuine.

Bourdain, you're pushing 60, or at least you look like you are. Give it up, you're not cool, you're just a poseur. Emeril may be corny, but at least he's not constantly trying to pretend he's still 25.

This ridiculous post reminds me of the kids who hang out at the convenience store and curse Greenday for selling out. Harmless and kinda cute but oh so misinformed.

Especially the "poseur" part. "Dude, you're a poseur." Priceless, really. :rolleyes:

Especially the "poseur" part.  "Dude, you're a poseur."  Priceless, really.  :rolleyes:

I know I know... it's just that well, he strikes me as someone who acts like he still thinks he's college-age, and so I give him the same respect I give the hipper-than-thou-college-student type.

Yes, there's a glut of perkiness over at TV Food Network, but is someone who brags about bordellos and drugs really an improvement? It just seems like another flavor of fake to a geek like me.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Bourdain thinks the Bourdain character he plays is funny. So do a lot of other people.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

skybluewater, in a neutral way as in it's just so.

Personally however, I find Bourdain very very funny.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I can't believe this thread was begun on my birthday and no one wished me a happy birthday! Cryin' out loud!

Can someone please tell me where Bourdain worked in Provincetown, and what years? Thank you much.

Edit: I just read his article again (I think it was the first thing I read after I joined), and I do disagree that he's biting the hand that feeds him. Tv is a smarmy business to be in, and if you can make it real, congratulations. I can't even watch the commercials for the overly energetic, sunshiney, or coy "personalities" that have taken over the network. I do, however, really enjoy those who remain themselves, and enjoy or take an interest in what they're doing. Organically, not by the smile that their paycheck has plastered on their faces.

Edited by elyse (log)

I can't believe this thread was begun on my birthday and no one wished me a happy birthday!  Cryin' out loud!

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday, dear Elyse . . .

(Be very, very glad you can't actually hear me sing! :wink: )

How did/will you celebrate??

Dude!

Tony may look a little older but he's young at heart. Certainly because he's doing what he like's.

He's surely NOT a poseur.

You can be 46 ( or 48,as I am) and still like rock n roll , act like a kid, etc..

Take it easy, guy!

2317/5000

((Can someone please tell me where Bourdain worked in Provincetown, and what years? Thank you much.))

The Flagship 72-75...including a short, brutal stint at Ciro and Sal's . A one nighter at the Wharf Luncheonette..and Nancy worked at Spiritus. Pals at the Lobster Pot, Gifford House etc....

abourdain

Tony, thanks for answering. '72-'75's a little before my time work-wise, but I always thought you looked familiar.

In case you don't know, The Flagship's gone, no idea where the Wharf Luncheonette was but unless it was one of the hot dog joints on Standish, it's gone too.

Peter Cosi was running Ciro and Sal's last time I checked (eep!), and Jingles has opened another couple of places. Pretty good too.

Lobster Pot staff is either the same, or crying.

In case you don't care, disregard.

Edit: AND thank you guys for the birthday greetings! How thoughtful. I really tend to make zero plans on my birthday. They ALWAYS get cancelled. This year, I did go to dinner with my mother, step, and his sister. Not bad, either. Dishy waiter too.

Edited by elyse (log)

Say hello to Jingles for me. Last time I saw him he was doing very well...

And Ciro's is owned by the Luster brothers now (James being the real "Tyrone" of KC). The Flagship still stands--but as a Southwest kinda joint or something now I think--and the Pot? That's never disappear.

abourdain

The Flagship 72-75...including a short, brutal stint at Ciro and Sal's . A one nighter at the Wharf Luncheonette..and Nancy worked at Spiritus. Pals at the Lobster Pot, Gifford House etc....

It is not generally recognized that Bourdain and I go way back, since I was born in P-town in 1975. Probably there is nothing scandalous about this coincidence, but you never know.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

It always amazes me that people only born in 1975 are talking and walking and moving around.

Then I remember it's 2003. :shock:

Jeez, I can't believe it's out of the Cosi family. Jeez.

Yeah, Lobster Pot's paid up to 6565.

I no longer live there, but am trying to move, and the outer cape is one of my possible destinations. But you couldn't get me to live in P.Town for anything. When I see Jingles et al, I'll say howdy.

Mamster, were you one of the kids who jumped off the pier for change at the bottom of the harbor? When did YOU move? And there's little not scandalous in P.town.