• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bourdain Identity

Fat Guy

Another thing I like about Bourdain is that his weary cynicism actually works to give him credibility. On the rare occasions when he does express unabashed pleasure and admiration over something, you can be sure it is heartfelt. That is the direct opposite of such maniacal travel cheerleaders as, say, that annoyingly chipper woman who does "$40-a-Day" or Samantha Brown on "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. When EVERYTHING generates a big grin, it becomes tiresome and monotonous.

Rachel Ray is awfully chipper.

I like Rachel and I like Tony -- worlds apart though they may be.

And I'm still dying to see a show with Rachel and Tony cooking together in Rachel's kitchen.

With Vic looking in through the window licking the edge of a Henckel and chortling.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

When EVERYTHING generates a big grin, it becomes tiresome and monotonous.

RE: "Rachel Ray is awfully chipper"

Kinda like a Dairy Queen Man?

SB (hint hint)

Sounds more like a Good Humor Man. I once worked about 2 months in a Dairy Queen for 50 cents an hour plus tips, so basically 50 cents an hour. They had a good spicy burger, good dip cones (not ice cream though) and some kinda special shakes called Shinook (Chinock) (?). Left to go across the street to work for a newspaper for $1.15 per hour. Minimum wage got raised so I was soon earning $1.25. Then, I could afford to eat at the DQ.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Last night, after finally getting a chance to put my feet up (late) I happened to catch AB's show on my newly installed dish system.

Thoroughly enjoyed it as good entertainment; especially his meeting with his old mentor "big foot". In 1957, I had a mentor like that too; guess I can understand how Tony feels.

Also enjoyed his visit "behind the trenches". Hope the TV network keeps him on.

RH :rolleyes:

Bourdain made it onto Page Six in the NY Post today.

Under sightings tagline -

"Kitchen Confidential" author Anthony Bordain and Babbo superchef Mario Batali dancing to a Dead Boys song blaring from the jukebox at Siberia in Hell's Kitchen.

I wonder which is the better dancer? And who leads?

johnjohn

• 5 weeks later...

Hey folks, I'm new.

Okay, Kitchen Confidential had me in stitches from start to finish and people know not to bother me during your weekly show. I have lots of friends who love your show so yea, you're a Food Network personnality, accept it and move on, man ;)

Keep up the good work!

Another newbie here.

What I'd like to know is whether Tony has any plans for another book like his tome on Typhoid Mary. And, while I'm at it, whether he's ever considered the job title "Food Journalist." There's damn few good ones out there, particularly of the Gonzo school.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Another newbie here.

What I'd like to know is whether Tony has any plans for another book like his tome on Typhoid Mary.  And, while I'm at it, whether he's ever considered the job title "Food Journalist."  There's damn few good ones out there, particularly of the Gonzo school.

I agree. "Typhoid Mary" got mixed reviews, but I though it was an important book. In all kinds of ways.

BTW: Welcome.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Haven't read Typhoid Mary, but I'm enjoying my way through Bone in the Throat right now. Is Bourdain's tone more serious in Typhoid Mary?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I hope Tony's going to write something soon, or maybe continue a cook's Tour...

Here's a recent thread Bourdain started.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 weeks later...
One of the challenges of running a Webzine that's five days old is finding decent writers. Here's the best we could do for now:

Bourdain on Bourdain

Heh, surely we can do better for guest writers.... :wink:

Bourdain is a sorry wanker, he insists he's too cool for FoodTV but has nooooo problem cashing their checks. He also has no problem acting like the rock-star chef he claims to detest. I've seen a couple of his shows, between the oooh-i'm-so-cool act and his constant whining, only a moron would buy his Keith-Richards exterior as genuine.

Bourdain, you're pushing 60, or at least you look like you are. Give it up, you're not cool, you're just a poseur. Emeril may be corny, but at least he's not constantly trying to pretend he's still 25.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Bourdain is a sorry wanker . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . insists he's too cool for FoodTV . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . no problem acting like the rock-star chef he claims to detest. . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . between the oooh-i'm-so-cool act and his constant whining . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . only a moron would buy his Keith-Richards exterior. . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . Bourdain, you're pushing 60, or at least you look like you are. . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . you're not cool, you're just a poseur. . . . *blah*blah*blah* . . . trying to pretend he's still 25. . . .

Did someone just fart?

(For those of you who accuse me of being a gratuitous provocateur, take a look at what a real troll sounds like.)

Edited by Deacon (log)