• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bourdain Identity

Fat Guy

One of the challenges of running a Webzine that's five days old is finding decent writers. Here's the best we could do for now:

Bourdain on Bourdain

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tony, is there an idea to try to do something in print out of season two?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh thaat...Yes. I doubted very much that it was when I wrote it. Never stopped me before. As you might have noticed, English is a language with which I have only a glancing aquaintance. Knew I should have paid more attention in class.

abourdain

Hey Vic....

"And what the fuck is a "television personality"? Jesus! I hope I'm not that. I'd rather write "habitual masturbator" on my visa applications than admit to that."

Hey Vic, you a "Television personality"? That's so impersonal and generic. That would put you in the same catagory as perhasp Jamie Oliver or Emeril "bam" lagasse, dam I hope not.

I thought the prision bitch in the plaid prison outfit(you know, the one who will keep you in smokes) already had the title "habitual masterbator". Stop being so "hard" on yourself.....lol

Oh one other thing Vic, tell Tony not to forget the Copenhagen on the long flights...

P.S. Had the opportunity to meet Tony and Vic, and thank god we will never see Vic in a speedo.....

John

Edited by haunted_chef (log)

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

All I came up with was the title. We gave it to three copy editors. They all ran screaming from the room and went off to pursue other professions. So I copy edited it by not changing anything. Don't ever change, Vic.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Am I the only one that would like to see the font, typeface, a little larger (in the article)?

We've tested this setting on a bunch of systems and it seems to be what most people like. Text size issues in Web design are fairly complex and there are many schools of thought. We might make an adjustment, but not any time soon. However, if your browser is Mozilla (which we recommend), just use ctrl+ and ctrl- to increase or decrease the text size.

BTW, in the future, would you mind posting such comments in Site Comments so that we can keep threads like this one on-topic? Thanks.

Am I the only one that would like to see the font, typeface, a little larger (in the article)?

We've tested this setting on a bunch of systems and it seems to be what most people like. Text size issues in Web design are fairly complex and there are many schools of thought. We might make an adjustment, but not any time soon. However, if your browser is Mozilla (which we recommend), just use ctrl+ and ctrl- to increase or decrease the text size.

BTW, in the future, would you mind posting such comments in Site Comments so that we can keep threads like this one on-topic? Thanks.

Didn't mean to get you worked up, FG.

I use Opera and can easily hit magnification in the upper right corner. Just thought I'd throw it out in case others were thinking the same thing as I was.

And I stand duly chastised. I will never again go OT when we're dealing with somebody famous.

Tony,

I can only provide cousel for what will surely be another fresh level of endurance after the non-bulemic-Barbie toilets in Brazil and a stint at Betty Ford----when the crafty promo people, in concert with programming, and the very latest from the dreaded focus groups, decide it's time for a softer, cuddlier, Tony Bourdain.

Shall we start crafting the catch-phrase now? :wink:

Liza

Knowing how much fun you're having takes some of the enjoyment out of the show. You've lost the Fear Factor "I have to eat what!?" factor. Next season better involve giardia, a tape worm, or at least some good projectile vomiting, or we'll turn back to Sarah Moulton.

Knowing how much fun you're having takes some of the enjoyment out of the show.  You've lost the Fear Factor "I have to eat what!?" factor.  Next season better involve giardia, a tape worm, or at least some good projectile vomiting, or we'll turn back to Sarah Moulton.

Actually, maybe you could do a show in which you come up with gourmet versions of all the Fear Factor "dishes." Be sure and get some of the lovelies from that show to try them.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

"French shoot" is a very useful phrase.  There are a lot of French shoots in one's daily interactions with fellow humanoids, aren't there?

I've got a friend who gets this great look of concern on her face while pushing the close button on elevators to keep out people coming at the last minute.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.