• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert using a smoker

TDoodle

I need to make a dessert to a potluck/work function at the end of January. I have a Bradley smoker and I thought that I could blow their minds by using it for a dessert (I normally use it for smoking fish), so I want to make a dessert using the smoker.

Smoked pineapple something?

Something with smoked apples (sauce)?

Carrot cake with smoked pineapple frosting?

Carrot cake with smoked pineapple?

Smoked pineapple is sticking in my head.

Can I get some help coming up with some ideas? And possibly some recipes if you are willing to part with them?

Cacao smoked marshmallow - I think I've seen that done before, otherwise I just made it up then.

You could also try something with tobacco? Maybe a bourbon and Cuban cigar ice cream. Smoke the bourbon and go for a Bay of Pigs conflict food pairing.

Edited by tsp. (log)

Toss a few things in the smoker, taste them and think about what you could do with them. I cut some oranges in half and tossed them in to smoke while I was smoking some chocolate and marshmallows. I had a plan for the chocolate and marshmallows (aerated chocolate and toasted marshmallow ice cream), the oranges were just out of curiosity. I used them to make a smoked orange curd. I made a ganache with 70% chocolate, basil-infused cream and smoked tomato puree. I used it on an olive oil cake. Those experiments were tasty, some I've tried were less so... but they were all fun.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.