• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iberica Canary Wharf

Man

I've tried the Iberica branch that is at walkable distance from my London pad (the other is in Marylebone - the branch I mean, not the pad). Half-empty as expected on a Saturday night (who wants to be in Canary Wharf on a Saturday night?).

Not bad at all. They are at the high end of ingredients in the London Spanish scene. We especially liked:

- the trio of Ibericos, which affords really interesting comparisons between three incarnations of the delicacy, with subtly different sweetness and fat (for the aficionados they were Beher etiqueta oro from Salamanca; Jabugo; COVAP Alta Expresion-Los Pedroches from Cordoba)

- the asparagi in a light tempura, very tasty and crunchy and nicely cooked.

- the signature beetroot gazpacho with anchovies

- and the grilled marinated Iberian pork loin, this one out of this world, the sweet marinade adding to the bliss.

It's not perfect: the romesco sauce with the asparagi lacked intensity and a cheese dish was not brilliant and was too cold, but all in all very, very good in its genre. Prices are fair: the above, plus an octopus a la gallega, plus water and two glasses of decent wine, plus breads with tomatoes, plus cheese selection and one dessert, was little more than £80. To visit again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard consistantly good things about Iberica from those I trust and decided last weekend to give the Marylebone branch a whirl. The website was unclear as to when they were open over Xmas so I phoned and left a message, but no one got back to me so we went to the new Meatliquor place Meatmission.

I shall persevere and let you know my thoughts on it. :wink:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

we went to the new Meatliquor place Meatmission.

I'd be interested in your views on 'Mission' as I've heard very mixed views from those that are fans of their other places.

Andrew

We had mixed feelings about it, and preferred Meatliquor. Quite a few bloggers like it but it was not entirely to our taste.

I meant to write about it but Xmas got in the way. Its on my to do list tomorrow :wink:

IMG_3673.JPG

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1