• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filet Mignon - What now?

pistolabella

I was recently gifted with some giftcards to a very nice butcher shop in town. I picked up some filets today because they looked amazing! But the thing is - I just made some filets last weekend (I know, cry me a river). I want to do something a little different this time, and am also looking for suggestions on accompaniments. Last week I did a little garlic and rosemary, seared in cast iron & finished in the oven. Sauteed mushrooms & onions on the side. What's something different I can do? I am not interested in dumping a heavy sauce or stuffing it with anything - the quality is too good. I'm ready for suggestions on cooking methods, season, and sides!

Tenderloin is spectacular for kebabs. Marinate in olive oil, lemon juice, and minced onions, and grill. Serve with pita bread, tomato sauce and yogurt.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Steak Au Poivre from James Beards Theory and Practice book.

I just googled it and all the recipes I saw use a new york strip and cracked black pepper, but what I remember (it's been years) is fillets and green peppercorns.

Regardless it was great, just be careful when you 'flame on' lighting the cognac. Years ago I steered a single friend to this and it became his go to dish when he cooked for a date just for the pyro special effects. Heh heh, he was a crafty one.

I seem to recall Jacques Pépin using strips of tenderloin to make quick beef stews, also.

I've got a beef and kidney stew that uses tenderloin and simmers for only 15 minutes.

Heavy S&P, maybe a little dried chipolte. Sear hot in a pan or grill. Cook to before desired doneness, rest 10 mins then eat with whatever condiments or sides you like. I never get tired of good simple parts cooked well.

Of course if you're looking for something kinkier...... fire up the circulator and have at it.