• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Stuffed Turkey Breast

&roid

So I'm trying out SV turkey, I have made a sausagemeat stuffing (sausage, egg, breadcrumbs, sage, parsley, shallots) and wrapped two 2lb turkey breasts up in cling film after stuffing. I've bagged them and they are cooking away at 64C to get to 63C internal (sv dash reckons just under 4hrs, they have a diameter of just less than 8cm).

Once they have cooked, how long would it be safe to keep them chilled for? They aren't needed till next week so would it be best to freeze them or will they be ok in the fridge for 6 days?

OK, so the stuffing is alright actually, I think the bread has combined quite well with the sausagemeat and the texture is passable. It's like a pate really.

The turkey meat is a bit disappointing though, when I've done sv chicken before its been revelatory, this is just "OK", a bit drier than I'd hoped. I might change the plan and do a brined breast without stuffing at 60C instead...

Glad I did this so far in advance!

I do turkey breast all the time, just finished a 22 Lbs turkey breast portion, 12 individual packs.

I also do Turkey Stuffing, my usual, SV.

I do both at 140 for 4 hours. works fine for me. the stuffing ( make your favorite, and do not cook the sausage before hand ) also is 140 for 4.

the stuffing is a little compact but you fluff it up then microwave to re heat. good enough if you have good gravy.

also the stuffing makes a fine breakfast with a poached egg or 2 ( SV ?) if its a little coarse, chop it a bit before the Micro.

I do a rapid chill then refrig or freeze.

BTW check your turkey wrapping: most turkey has been injected with a brine ( Show Me The $$$ ) so if it has do not brine again.

MC and maybe MC@Home would take that SV stuffing and Vita-max it for a Stuffing Pudding!

Yum!

Edited by rotuts (log)

What I've found w/ turkey after some experimentation --

Brine for 6 hours using the Momofuku fried chicken brine. Rinse. 63C for 4 hours (we're talking about a decent sized breast here). Chill in the bag. 12 hours or so before you want to serve it, take it out of the bag and let it air dry in the fridge. Deep fry at 190C.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I do turkey breast all the time, just finished a 22 Lbs turkey breast portion, 12 individual packs.

I also do Turkey Stuffing, my usual, SV.

I do both at 140 for 4 hours. works fine for me. the stuffing ( make your favorite, and do not cook the sausage before hand ) also is 140 for 4.

the stuffing is a little compact but you fluff it up then microwave to re heat. good enough if you have good gravy.

also the stuffing makes a fine breakfast with a poached egg or 2 ( SV ?) if its a little coarse, chop it a bit before the Micro.

I do a rapid chill then refrig or freeze.

BTW check your turkey wrapping: most turkey has been injected with a brine ( Show Me The $$$ ) so if it has do not brine again.

MC and maybe MC@Home would take that SV stuffing and Vita-max it for a Stuffing Pudding!

Yum!

Cheers Rotuts, 60C (140F) for 4 hours is what I'll try, have a crown defrosting now so can get it cooked tomorrow (still time if it all goes wrong!). Will definitely check what the brining situation is, thanks for the tip.

Bit despondent about all this as the confit I've made with the legs is pretty damn salty and a bit "firm". I used the duck confit recipe from MC but left it 12h instead of 8h as the turkey was a pretty big one. Hey ho, every day's a school day!

I generally now do the turkey breast time and temp above with:

Prime Rib & Roast Seasoning, RUB (00575) (3.5 oz. jar) from Sauer's

then at the same time your favorite stuffing mix Mine is cornbread pepperidge farm cornbread with Apples/dried cranberries/sausage/toasted pecans

that also cooks at the same time 140 x 4

good luck

Sooooooooooo tasty!

So it looks like the turkey is "basted" with the following ingredients:

Ingredients

Turkey (96%), Butter Baste (4%).

Butter Baste contains Water, Butter (11%), Stabilisers Sodium Triphosphate and Xanthan Gum, Salt Substitute Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sugar, Antioxidant Sodium Ascorbate.

Though the overall sodium content is only 0.1g per 100g of the product which doesn't sound much, should I still brine it?

Edited by &roid (log)

no. it will be fine as it is. your life is salty enough :sad:

however, on the SV stuffing: the apples need to be microwaved until begging to be tender. they will not become tender at 140 x 4

depends on how you like your apples in your stuffing.

Edited by rotuts (log)

lol - good call. Will do it as is.

Last thing, do you SV with skin on and brown it after or remove the skin and crisp it separately? I've heard a lot of people say they struggle to get it evenly done if left on the meat but have to say I've found this fine on chicken breasts and find the flavour it gives the meat to be a bit lacking if I take it off before sous vide-ing.

Edited by &roid (log)

So it looks like the turkey is "basted" with the following ingredients:

Ingredients

Turkey (96%), Butter Baste (4%).

Butter Baste contains Water, Butter (11%), Stabilisers Sodium Triphosphate and Xanthan Gum, Salt Substitute Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sugar, Antioxidant Sodium Ascorbate.

Though the overall sodium content is only 0.1g per 100g of the product which doesn't sound much, should I still brine it?

No. No. No. No. It doesn't sound like a lot but brining it twice is a bad idea.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

thanks both of you, breasts (un-brined!) are now in the water bath at 60C, I skinned them and just lightly seasoned before bagging with a tablespoon of butter.

The carcass from the crown is in the oven roasting ready to make some gravy from it.

Will post results later...

With turkey breast, I have done them at 160 degrees for four hours. They are moist and with good texture. Adding that yours ar stuffed, I might consider this higher temperature. Also, consider duck fat in the bag.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks