• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making salted caramel spread in a Thermomix

Lia Tumkus

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anybody have done salted caramel in the thermomix before. Sometimes I have to make it 4 times a day, and all the stirring is making me wonder if I can make it a little easier.

That's my recipe:

278g Cream

167g Glucose

176g Sugar

167g Milk

139g Butter

7,6g Fleur de Sel

7g Vanilla paste

So everything (except cream) goes to a pot, heat until 147C (stirring constantly!) and then I stir in the warm cream.

Does anybody knows if that would work in a thermomix???

I'll appreciate any inputs :D

Thanks guys!!!

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10660.0

The link above will take you to a recipe someone posted to the Australian Thermomix Forum site. If this doesn't help, you could do some scrolling through that site and seeing what you can find. I tried making fudge in the Thermomix last night and it came out quite soft. The taste was good so I can imagine cooking it for less time and having it as a sauce. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm supposed to be stirring my sugar while it's coming up to temp/color? I give it a stir or two until things are melted and cooking and maybe a swirl or three once it starts coloring. Other than that, I don't do any stirring until the cream goes in. If I'm doing it wrong, I don't want to know... 'cause that time while the sugar is cooking is spent getting other things done.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm thinking the stirring is because of the higher butter content in the recipe. You could try adding the butter AFTER you add the cream (and then stirring like crazy after each addition). That way you can get away with hardly stirring in your first step and the stirring you do is just to incorporate the butter.

Another idea would be to use a stick blender. Someone suggested that in the Jacques Genin caramel thread and I have been doing it ever since. My stick blender has several speeds and I use the low one. Sure saves the arm...

I was unable to get my caramel up to 121 C in the thermomix.

that was my first thought - I don't think the unit will heat that high.

I'd also be concerned about it sticking to the bottom, as I've had things stick in mine quite often, even though it's mixing all the time.

Rumour has it the Hotmix pro will achieve the higher temperatures. Sadly only 240V.

Apparently it goes up to 190º C - the newest model - the Easy will go to 130º C and might be 120V if it comes to north america.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Cool guys! Thank you so much for the ideas and discussion... I'll give it a go changing my cooking method, adding the butter to the cream and all.

Hotmix pro sounds great! But I have no idea if I'm able to buy living in Brazil, and how much it cost... :P

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Rumour has it the Hotmix pro will achieve the higher temperatures. Sadly only 240V.

Apparently it goes up to 190º C - the newest model - the Easy will go to 130º C and might be 120V if it comes to north america.

Kerry... do we need a new toy? I think we might! I would love a machine with the capability to make caramel. I use a lot of butter in my caramels so need to do a lot of stirring. The Hotmix Pro increases in temp. 1 degree at a time. It's the perfect caramel making tool!

I haven't done a lot of research but found these technical specs that state that the Gastro IS available in 110V.

I won't be running out to buy it tomorrow but it's definitely on my wish list (she says massaging her poor sore neck from too much stirring....)

http://www.hotmixpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=385&Itemid=105〈=en

Thanks for pointing out this machine!

Kerry... do we need a new toy? I think we might! I would love a machine with the capability to make caramel. I use a lot of butter in my caramels so need to do a lot of stirring. The Hotmix Pro increases in temp. 1 degree at a time. It's the perfect caramel making tool!

I haven't done a lot of research but found these technical specs that state that the Gastro IS available in 110V.

I won't be running out to buy it tomorrow but it's definitely on my wish list (she says massaging her poor sore neck from too much stirring....)

http://www.hotmixpro...mid=105〈=en

Thanks for pointing out this machine!

Of course we do! Of course I want the Creative that heats and cools.

Of course we do! Of course I want the Creative that heats and cools.

Of course you want the Creative! That would be an amazing machine. I was pretty excited about this machine but had an 'oh no' yesterday as I was daydreaming about it... The caramels I make have sodium bicarbonate in them (see the Jacques Genin caramels thread) and they froth up A LOT as they are cooked. I don't think that little 2L bowl could handle a recipe for a frame of caramels. I think the baking soda plays a few roles in that recipe but the most important one I would think is the boost in the Maillard reaction as the caramels cook. I wouldn't want to omit it. Boo Hoo!!

When you get your machine I'll get you to try out those caramels to see if the machine can handle it. :)