• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Understanding Front of House Staffing

DanM

Good morning,

A group of people I know are going to open a brewery next spring. Thanks to changes in state law and a mixed use permit from a city that is doing everything to make this venture happen, they will be filling growlers on site and serving pints in their tap room. They will not serve food directly, but they have agreements with local food truks to park outside and you are welcome to bring in your own food, within reason. I am wondering what is the best way to calculate front of house staffing levels, as I am sure they will need people to clean tables, bus glassware, keep customers happy, fill pints and growlers, empty wallets, etc...

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Any food consumed by customers will be on disposable ware with the expectation that people will bus their own tables. Beer will be served at the tap, no wait staff initially.

IIRC, the tap room will seat around 100, but I dont think they have an official capacity from the city.

Beer will be served in glassware. It actually brings up a fun point of law. Breweries are allowed to sell, but not serve, so they must provide tastings in disposable. Under a brewpub license, they can sell and serve and can use glassware. The brewery will use the latter setup.

Dan