• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice: Varieties, Storage, Preparation, Use

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I'm going to try it.  Just for fun if nothing else.

I'm afraid that the look of it once sprouted would completely turn me off.

The word 'wormlike' comes to mind.

Edited by lindag (log)

I rinse my short grain Japanese Sushi rice thoroughly. I don't rinse carnaroli, and perhaps I should pick through it more carefully than I do. I also don't wash basmati, but I use local CA Lundgren basmati and it always seems very clean. I don't know if my reasoning is sound but I would be pretty surprised to learn that Lundgren uses night soil or keeps their rice in anything but clean facilities.  As for RG beans, never have I seen such pristine beans. I do pick through them, not terribly carefully at this point since I never find any stones or dirt in them. They do get a rinse before soaking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for that.  I wonder if anyone has ever bothered with GABA rice.  @JoNorvelleWalker maybe?

Brown rice is something I do not care for.

However for brown rice fans, Zojirushi has a GABA setting.  Note:  one does not buy expensive special GABA rice to use with the Zojirushi.  You use regular whole grain brown rice, and the Zojirushi sprouts it.  Or so I understand.  As mentioned I have never tried it.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Brown rice is something I do not care for.

However for brown rice fans, Zojirushi has a GABA setting.  Note:  one does not buy expensive special GABA rice to use with the Zojirushi.  You use regular whole grain brown rice, and the Zojirushi sprouts it.  Or so I understand.  As mentioned I have never tried it.

The Zo sprouts it?

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That is my understanding.  I may not be the best one to ask.

I just found this on Forbes:

"So far, my favorite setting on the NP-NVC10/18 is the GABA setting. GABA rice is basically germinated brown rice. By holding the rice at a low temperature for an extended period of time before cooking it the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) increases. Substantial intake of GABA has been shown have a number of health benefits including: lower blood pressure, improved brain functions, healthier kidneys, stress relief and many more. But who has time to sprout rice? The GABA setting on the Zojirushi holds brown rice at 104 degrees for two hours before cooking it, making healthier rice dirt simple. Set the programmable timer on the machine and it will be ready just in time for dinner."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alex said:

It's just sprouted rice with an ostensibly catchy name. My rice cooker bowl has a marking for it.

GABA Gabba Hey!

That was my first thought, too. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My rice cooker is a Zojirushi but it does not have a GABA setting.  I had never even heard of GABA rice before reading the end of this thread!  That said my rice cooker is at least 10 years old.  It does have lots of settings I have never tried, like semibrown rice.

• Confused 1

I've been making various sprouted grain breads for years. First I've heard of GABA as well. 

It is basically a plant when sprouted. Every grain/seed has a germ, the embryo. surrounded by the endosperm--its suitcase full of nutrients to assist in feeding the germ to help it sprout once moisture is added. 

sprouted grains explained

Took this pic last night. The grass looking greens are wheat berries grown as micro greens next to some pea shoots. Completely different nutrient profile than the dried seeds/grains. For breads I just look for small tails, 24-36 hours, then blendered into a slurry. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 8.02.11 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1