• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice: Varieties, Storage, Preparation, Use

liuzhou

OK

god to know.

Ill report my

Basmati experiences.

I have two bags of this :

64b899f1-d010-4096-9bd7-855fdaf1858d.342e6202d2b176dcde63975ce77c2569.thumb.jpeg.a67a6a6b99e0b4b280fc784cb2ec2041.jpeg

a touch Pre-Pandemic

aged now over 2 years !

completely sealed 

no noises in the bag !

is not aged Basmati 

a tasty goal ?

Ill report .

after all :

if there are 

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-a-weevil-2656439

its best to chose the Lesser ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

I have been to India and ( back then ) Ceylon

there are many Gods in each place.

some w many many hands.

I will be careful 

just in case.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I will be careful 

just in case.

This is what I wanted to hear. We cannot afford to lose any more members and especially not to   carelessness.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I put my rice in a very fine mesh bag and run it though the quick rinse cycle of my washing machine.

Heh.

Actually, I also use an Inomata. I like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I don't wash my rice. Sorry if that is offensive.

Oh, darn. I was planning to stop by for dinner, but now I just don't know...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

18 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I don't wash my rice. Sorry if that is offensive.

Afterall, the rice has been grown in water.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Afterall, the rice has been grown in water.

But the water isn't clean. It's fertilised with night soil*, then dried and processed in a dusty hut full of rodents.

*Human excrement

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

People here in China are meticulous about washing their rice. 'Scrubbing' is probably a better description. They put the rice in the rice cooker bowl and fill it with water, then get their hands in there and rub every grain. Then pour off the water very carefully so as not to lose a single grain. Repeat up to five or six times.

Washing rice is important not only to clean it of dust and other pollutants, but to get rid of excess starch which will just give you cloggy rice.

For two years, I lived right next to a large rice paddy in Hunan. I  watched the farmers planting and tending the plants. It is back-breaking hard work. That is why all kids are taught that to waste a single grain is a crime. Most kids in junior school are sent to spend at least a day planting rice to teach them of its importance and the sacrifice the farmers make to feed them.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

But the water isn't clean. It's fertilised with night soil*, then dried and processed in a dusty hut full of rodents.

*Human excrement

Through to the keeper, as @sartoric might say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

*Human excrement

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

People here in China are meticulous about washing their rice. 'Scrubbing' is probably a better description. They put the rice in the rice cooker bowl and fill it with water, then get their hands in there and rub every grain. Then pour off the water very carefully so as not to lose a single grain. Repeat up to five or six times.

Washing rice is important not only to clean it of dust and other pollutants, but to get rid of excess starch which will just give you cloggy rice.

For two years, I lived right next to a large rice paddy in Hunan. I  watched the farmers planting and tending the plants. It is back-breaking hard work. That is why all kids are taught that to waste a single grain is a crime. Most kids in junior school are sent to spend at least a day planting rice to teach them of its importance and the sacrifice the farmers make to feed them.

My rice is grown in Australia, we don't use night soil although I'm sure there is a little bird and kangaroo poo. I'm also confident they clean it before packaging and certainly any white rice won't have anything that may have landed on the bran.

We used to sing a hymn in church when I was a kid to teach us about people in the rest of the world, "Planting rice is never fun, bent from dawn til day is done"

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

18 minutes ago, haresfur said:

My rice is grown in Australia, we don't use night soil although I'm sure there is a little bird and kangaroo poo. I'm also confident they clean it before packaging and certainly any white rice won't have anything that may have landed on the bran.

We used to sing a hymn in church when I was a kid to teach us about people in the rest of the world, "Planting rice is never fun, bent from dawn til day is done"

I'd still wash it though.  Is there any particular reason you do not wash your rice, or is it just convenience?

I wash rice as well, especially to remove residual starch before the rice goes into the rice cooker.

Concerning the risk of contamination from unsanitary growing conditions I‘d be comfortable that post-harvest processing, milling and polishing will take care of that in white rice.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd still wash it though.  Is there any particular reason you do not wash your rice, or is it just convenience?

I read something ages ago about it having more nutrients if you don't wash it, but now mostly because I don't see any starch coming off and can't be arsed.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Most rice just comes out so much better when it is washed.

Anyone eating a proper diet doesn't need the "nutrients" that are added back to white rice, after they've been removed from what was originally brown rice.

There are 2 rices I don't wash - but I certainly look through them for impurities, the same as I look through @rancho_gordo's beans; they would be bomba and carnaroli rices (or paella and risotto rices), as the starches are integral to the finished dishes.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can someone explain to me what GABA rice is, tastes like, cooks like?  I cam across this term while looking at rice cookers and have never heard of it until just now.

Probably more than you really wanted to know here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's just sprouted rice with an ostensibly catchy name. My rice cooker bowl has a marking for it.

GABA Gabba Hey!

Edited by Alex (log)