• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miami in 5 days

joiei

How to spend 5 days in Miami and only eat in South Beach once.

Day 1 appetizers at Sugarcane

dinner at Blue Collar, the Crispy Skinned Snapper order it.

Day 2 Breakfast at The Cheese Course at Midtown the Caprese baguette sandwich

Lunch at Salumeria 104, fresh ravioli stuffed with prosciutto and Parmesan sauteed with cherry tomatoes and juilliened artichoke hearts

Happy Hour at SushiSamba pop-up

Dinner at Oak Tavern in the Design District, Halibut cheeks (unfortunately over cooked by a little bit) and a burger and some delicious country rabbit pate.

Day 3 Breakfast at The Golden Door Spa, Hummus patty with eggs (Beautiful property and excellent food)

Lunch at Micheal's Genuine house cured pastrami sandwich

appetizers back at Sugarcane

Dinner at The Federal (very noisy but good food, sit outside if you can)

Day 4 Breakfast at Acme Bakery and Coffee excellent choice, they serve Panther Coffee. and the blueberry corn muffins.

Lunch -

Dinner at Florida Cookery in The James Royal Palm Hotel, if your going, definitely put this on your must eat here list. I loved the Hearts of Palm salad, we don't get fresh hearts here in the middle of America. I almost ordered the mutant Snapper but went for the Pecan dusted grouper and some of the most exquisite cheese grits I have ever tasted. A definite do again.

Day 5 this was our dine around day

First meal - The Buenos Aries Bakery for cafe con leche, ham and cheese empanadas and small croissants

Second meal - La Camaronera Restaurant and Fish Market for shrimp tacos

Third Meal - Pupusa Factory #2 for pupusas

Forth Meal - Garcia's for the outdoor deck overlooking the Miami River and eating some fine Stone Crab.

Fifth Meal - Auzcar's for homemade ice cream across from Domino Park

Sixth Meal - Burger and Beer for even more food, I had to stop. I cant believe they were still eating.

The remainder of our time was spent checking out as much of Art Basel as we could stand and we never made it to the convention center in Miami Beach. There was so much at Midtown.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

oops not Golden Door but Canyon Ranch. I don't know why I keep getting those two mixed up.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Wow, what a trip, Joiei. Thanks for the report. Makes me want to head south. I noticed several Latino names on that list of restaurants. Were any of them Cuban? And if so, what Cuban dishes did you have?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

No Cuban cuban, La Cameronera is primarily a fish market on 8th Street and they have a stand up counter where they fix a limited menu. Next time I am getting the lobster taco. Azucar is strictly ice creams and sorbets, house made and delicious. It wasn't necessarily a trip for Cuban. Most of the places are not high end dining but damn good food.