• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Henkleman vacuum machines

Chez56

It depends on your uses. I've been looking at Sammic, but have switched to Minipack because I favor a larger chamber.

I want to make Pastrami, so the MVS-45XP is my current favorite. More room than the Sammic SV310S, Less $$, & Stronger Busch pump.

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

I have a Restaurant and i'm looking to extend shelf life for all products including meat & seafood during slower useage times, also sous vide, and probably get into some canning of sauces and other items for resale in retort bags. I have been looking at the Sammic machines for awhile but just happened upon the Henklemans. They seem to have a bigger pump, about the same capacity of the 310 s with a better price point. plus more features for the buck and appear to be equal in quality.

It depends on your uses. I've been looking at Sammic, but have switched to Minipack because I favor a larger chamber.

I want to make Pastrami, so the MVS-45XP is my current favorite. More room than the Sammic SV310S, Less $$, & Stronger Busch pump.

I looked at the MVS 45 that has a huge chamber, but it doesnt look like it comes standard with gas flushing. I think i would like that for some of the items I would use it on Ie: Tuna loins and some meats. I could get by with a little smaller chamber width size, but I like the length on that one. It is a little on the heavy side would need a set place for that one. Thanks

I've had the back of my Boxer 35 open, and the build quality is very impressive.

All European made relays and solenoids, impeccable wiring,...it looks like it's made to last a very long time. Henkelman support (I'm in the US), has always been very responsive.

Speaking of which, it's time to do the annual hydraulic oil change.

I've had it a little over a year (after spending months trying to decide which to buy).

Watch the video on Henkelman's site, regarding their engineering and quality philosophy. One very important factor with these high end chamber vacs is parts availability (since one small failed component can make the machine worthless if it's unavailable), and Henkelman maintains a full stock of parts going back to their first model.

I recommend the "Cut-Seal" bar option. It makes for a nice, neat bag since you just rip off the cut part, and it prevents food residue from getting into your water bath.

The end of the bag that's "cut" serves as a secondary seal as well.

I have "gas flush", but haven't set up a tank yet.

I use mine more for food storage than Sous Vide.

By the way, they built mine and had it on my front steps in New York from the Netherlands in 3 days. Some companies give you confidence in the way the handle things, and Henkelman is one of them, IMHO.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks GlowingGhoul. I just need to make the plunge at some point, it's a big investment, however I think the return on investment will defineately come back to me in savings on lost product and other avenues of productivity and items I can do with it. I'll let you know when I get to that point.

I'm down to deciding between a Minipack MVS35X or a Henkelman Boxer 35. Probably leaning towards the Boxer at this point.

I really like the incline plate option on the Boxer for liquids. Very ingenious the way they have a magnetic shelf that you adjust to get the liquids right up to the seal point. Has soft air release also (not sure if the Minipack has this) and an option for a H20 boil sensor.

I'm sure I would be happy with either, but the Boxer seems to have the edge. Would love to see both in person though.

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

I have a Boxer 35 too and highly recommend it. I compared it to the Sammic and Minipack as well. The motor is a 16 m3/h vs the minipack so if the chamber is the same size that's a plus. Also the Henkelman has a soft air release which is nice. Finally, I recommend the H2O option on the boxer. I use it all the time and it works perfectly. It shuts off the second it starts to boil. I'm not sure if the minipack has that option. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give a price range of the various machines? Their websites do not disclose that item.

vacuum-packer.com is the distibuter for Henkelman in the US. You can configure the machine and see a price quote for any of the models.

I just saw they're having a sale, looks like 10% the regular prices.

The Boxer 35 starts at $2700, but the "vaccum by sensor percentage" and "soft air" features are standard now (Used to be a $600 upgrade).

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)

Do the Henkelman's ever come up on the used market? I've been monitoring all the usual places and haven't seen one show yet. Plenty of other models but no Boxers.

Is this because there aren't as many sold or are they so good that they rarely change owners?

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

I don't think there are many chamber vacuums sold in general, but the thing about the Boxer is, what are you going to upgrade to? It's already pretty much top of the line, loaded with features, and the only upgrade would be a larger unit or one with label printing(the Lynx). That's why I don't think there are many showing up for sale used.

Can anyone give a price range of the various machines? Their websites do not disclose that item.

GlowingGhoul is right, Vacuum-packer.com is one of the major Us Distributors for Henkleman they are made in Holland. a fully loaded Boxer35 will run you just under $3,500, and I think they ship for free.

GlowingGhoul is right, Vacuum-packer.com is one of the major Us Distributors for Henkleman they are made in Holland. a fully loaded Boxer35 will run you just under $3,500, and I think they ship for free.

Yes, Henkelman covers FedEx shipping and customs fees. They had mine built and delivered from Holland to my front door in NY in 3 days.

They did the same with the accessories and maintainance parts I've ordered as well. Top notch customer experience, imho.

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)