• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flips!

Lahti

One of my all time favourite winter drinks is the flip, I love the sweet and creamy texture that the egg gives the drink. From the classic Rum Flip to the more modern Cynar version, I just can't seem to get enough.

But there isn't much information out there about this particular category of drinks, so my conclusion has always been that the flip never was one of the more popular styles. I've recently created a twist on the Cuba Libre called the Liberty Flip and it is a real crowd pleaser. It contains light rum, swedish punsch, coca-cola reduction, a dash of lime juice, simple syrup, an egg and grated nutmeg.

Since I put that on my menu I've been trying to research the origins of the flip, but so far I haven't uncovered much. Does anyone have more information or recipes?

Meletti Lemon Flip

by Ned Greene, Hungry Mother, Cambridge, MA

2 oz Amaro, Meletti

3/4 oz Lemon juice

1/2 oz Rich simple syrup 2:1

1 Whole egg

Dry shake, shake with ice, strain, straight up, lowball.

Fabulous. Great flip for the non-flip lover. Surprisingly not bitter. I get a gestalt of chocolate from Meletti, but others don't.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

My wife loves the Cynar flip

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2008/12/cynar-flip.html etc.

It's just ~ 2.5 oz Cynar and a whole egg (obviously, should probably grate some fresh nutmeg on top). It tastes surprisingly good, and different from what you'd expect.

My only suggestion, just in case you don't already know - as with many egg drinks, dry shake with a hawthorne strainer spring for a while before shaking with ice.

1695, that's a long time ago! I feel that the average drinker is more open to flips now compared to a couple of years ago, and in my opinion it probably is the most fun to play around with. The oppurtunities seem endless, from simple conoctions to more modern twists to classic drinks. More recipes are always welcome!

• 2 years later...

Tried this  monster of a drink, the Elephant Flip tonight. Lost of stuff going on. I was really hoping to love it, but it was a bit to busy for me in the end. the IPA was just a list overkill on top of the other ingredients. Still nice and interesting but not something I would repeat.

I'm tempted to try it... just out of sheer hard-headedness. I'll have to sub Lucano for the Ramazzotti though.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.