• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveur 100 hitting the newstands now

Kerry Beal

Always fun to see what's new and noteworthy - and a few eG'ers have hit the list in the past including our own Rancho Gordo (who's hitting a whole lot of other important lists these days too). And eG itself made it to the 2009 list.

But it was a special treat this year to see our own former eG host gfron1 listed as #39 with The Curious Kumquat.

It's going to take me a while to go through the whole thing - but who else has gotten their hands on an issue? Anything else exciting you've found there?

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried the black licorice recipe in this issue?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Homemade-Black-Licorice

I work with someone who loves licorice, in particular some black stuff she gets from Belgium.

I am contemplating making this recipe for her but wonder if it will be worth it.

I hate licorice, can't even stand the smell.

Opinions from any licorice lovers?

I work with someone who loves licorice, in particular some black stuff she gets from Belgium.

I am contemplating making this recipe for her but wonder if it will be worth it.

Very nice!

I promise you that I will be trying this! I absolutely love licorice! A while back I scoured the internet for licorice recipes, and only came across a few odd ones that yielded some pretty nasty stuff. I've very suprised to see this, I'm going to try it as soon as I can! I'll be anticipating messing with this recipe and holding onto it to gauge the shelf life. Like real licorice, I'm not planning on storing it in the fridge even though the recipe says to, its cooked enough that it doesn't need to be. I'll be definitly getting back, thanks for pointing this out!

Also, about your friend, I'd recommend making a test batch for yourself. All your going to be looking for is the texture of the candy, so since you hate licorice so much, perhaps look for a raspberry extract or another fruit, as well as a color that goes along with it to make for yourself. If you like the texture of the resulting candy, that go ahead and have a go at the real thing for your friend, but keep in mind that the smell of anise may linger for longer then you want it to in your kitchen. Also, if you do make a test batch for yourself, I'd replace the molasses with corn syrup, since it will likely be a fruit flavor, and of course use light corn syrup rather then the specified dark. Please let us know how it goes, and thanks again for pointing this out, I never would have seen it otherwise!

I adore licorice, but this recipe looks kind of... gross. Butter? Condensed milk? Those just sound like they'd muddy and dull the flavour, and, although I'm thrilled to eat things that are healthy, all the licorice I've eaten that involved some sort of whole meal flour had a slightly gritty consistency, which I could not learn to appreciate.

If anyone tries this I'd be very curious to hear how it turns out.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org