• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boca Raton

glenn

I'm looking to get a gift certificate for 2 for a restaurant in this area for my brother's birthday. He'll be vacationing in the area with his wife for 3 months starting in January. Unfortunately, I have no useful info regarding cuisine preference or anything else. I'm looking to spend between $100-$150. Thanks for any helpful info.

The Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Boca is pretty good, and has enough of a menu to make most everybody happy.

As a matter of fact, I even started a thread about it a few years ago.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Brewzzi is a good middle of the road choice and very popular, it has a variety of items too. There is always The Cheesecake Factory, another safe bet with lots of choices. Boca is pretty expensive so you will have to preview the menus online to make sure to stay in your price range. As a side send them to Steves Coal Fired Pizza. For fine Italian Saporissimo .Lots of choices for sure.

Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that my brother and I are from NY and I was looking for something off the beaten path, something unique to the area. We have Ruth's Chris here. I saw Six Tables on yelp which got great reviews. Does anyone know of them?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this response is too late, but if you like fish and seafood, I highly recommend Food Shack in Jupiter. My favorite restaurant in that area. Don't know if they have gift certificates, I know they do not take reservations.

I did a blog post on it a few years ago. Our last visit was during this summer when we moved to Florida, the food is still outstanding.

http://offthebroiler...irs-food-shack/

Moir also owns Leftovers Cafe (also in Jupiter) that has a very similar menu but is more of a lunch crowd type of place.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey Jason! I know where I'm eating when I visit. Food Shack looks tremendous. Six Tables is a done deal and it looks pretty unique. I also think it's more apropros for my brother, fuddy duddy that he is. I'd love to read a review about it by you.

• 11 months later...

Another year, another birthday, another suggestion please. Food Shack would be an excellent choice but it's 40 miles from Boca, a distance traveled only by foodies. My brother is not in that category. He liked Six Tables a whole lot. So, again, something a little out of the ordinary and under $150 for 2 near Boca. Thanks.

The Whale's Rib in Deerfield Beach. It's the next town south of Boca, a nice casual joint, where $150.00 will certainly pay for a nice dinner for 2.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

Another year, another birthday, another suggestion please. Food Shack would be an excellent choice but it's 40 miles from Boca, a distance traveled only by foodies. My brother is not in that category. He liked Six Tables a whole lot. So, again, something a little out of the ordinary and under $150 for 2 near Boca. Thanks.

Truluck's in Boca. They do all you can eat Stone Crabs on monday nights. Solid steak options, great steakhouse type sides, great beverage program.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The Whale's Rib in Deerfield Beach. It's the next town south of Boca, a nice casual joint, where $150.00 will certainly pay for a nice dinner for 2.

We actually TRIED to eat there a while back, place gets crazy busy during snowbird season, parking is nearly impossible in that area. But I've heard good things about the food.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Here we go again in what seemingly has become a tradition.  I think I got him (it's actually for my brother and his wife) a gift certificate for Truluck's last year.  I didn't get much of a reaction from him, sort of, been there done that sort of thing, ungrateful bastid. -)  For this year, I'm looking for something he probably never tried but not too far off the beaten path.  Again, he's in Boca.  I called Whale's Rib and they said you have to come in person to get a gift certificate!!  That sounded crazy and I have to call back for the manager if I want to pursue it.  Is that a place he probably wouldn't be familiar with?  It also seems to fit in nicely with my budget, which is meager this year.  Any other suggestions?   Thanks.