• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Las Vegas: Part 2

I'm looking forward to trying Sparrow and Wolf on my next trip to Vegas. I've had great pizza in Vegas before, particularly downtown. I"m looking forward to a pizza place called Monzu. One of the best things I've ever had in Vegas, and something I make at home all the time is the warm grape salad with shiitake, feta, chives and mint at Yonaka. Maybe the best $8.00 I've ever spent on food.

• Like 2

And Roku Sweets is also amazing.  The Japanese pastry chefs rival the best of the French pastry chefs in Las Vegas.

19 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Here are the recommendations from my Facebook friends:

image.png.48fd20fa8102100a5959f8e68caaef84.png

I think most of those look pretty good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

And Roku Sweets is also amazing.  The Japanese pastry chefs rival the best of the French pastry chefs in Las Vegas.

I had Raku when it first opened but couldn't get to the sweets, so I'll try this time. Also, Suzuya was my favorite of the non-chocolate pastry shops on my last visit, so I completely agree.

• Like 1

My on-the-cheap trip is over. 

First night was Chengdu Taste - absolutely fantastic. I met a Chinese friend the next night and he was impressed that I ate there, said, very authentic and mostly Chinese people eat there. I saw so many things on the menu that I haven't seen before. I ordered the Beef with Crispy Rice:

Chengdu.thumb.jpg.0a4dc903166c3cd0f2a39e125c6eb920.jpg

The next morning I was craving a burrito so bad and ended up at Tacos el Compita:

Compita.thumb.jpg.a631d6750e722369ad4997116375cc81.jpg

Dinner that night was Puerto Rico Express:

Puerto.thumb.jpg.8828cbff6f21f9158dcd8957e48694f8.jpg

and my last night was Dakao for Bahn mi:

Dakao.thumb.jpg.ce6d27e5f3b7a3dc62d20932cc47cc36.jpg

Capped off with a cucumber mango drink from Zero Degrees:

ZeroDegrees.thumb.jpg.bf9595bb1d65784e449d8de27d3411a7.jpg

Dakao certainly was the cheapest meal at $3.75 ($5 with drink and tax). Chengdu was the best thing I ate and the most expensive at $20 including a pot of tea.

• Like 13

On 9/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, gfron1 said:

Dinner that night was Puerto Rico Express:

Puerto.thumb.jpg.8828cbff6f21f9158dcd8957e48694f8.jpg

It all looks great, Rob, and I hope you had a lot of fun.

Your Puerto Rico Express meal looks like maduros, a big serving of Moros y Christianos, and a pile of lightly cooked onions on top of maybe grilled fish? It's hard to make out whatever it is underneath those onions. Also I was surprised to see the black beans and white rice instead of Arroz con Gandules, which is yellow rice with pigeon peas. Although after to going to look at Yelp photos for PR Express, what you show seems to be their version of Arroz con Gandules. I am used to seeing the rice more yellow and the peas/beans more green looking. I've made the dish myself with canned pigeon peas and they were quite green. Thoughts?

This little food stand sure looks like my kind of place. I'm having cravings for beef empanadas and maduros now.

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

It all looks great, Rob, and I hope you had a lot of fun.

Your Puerto Rico Express meal looks like maduros, a big serving of Moros y Christianos, and a pile of lightly cooked onions on top of maybe grilled fish? It's hard to make out whatever it is underneath those onions. Also I was surprised to see the black beans and white rice instead of Arroz con Gandules, which is yellow rice with pigeon peas. Although after to going to look at Yelp photos for PR Express, what you show seems to be their version of Arroz con Gandules. I am used to seeing the rice more yellow and the peas/beans more green looking. I've made the dish myself with canned pigeon peas and they were quite green. Thoughts?

This little food stand sure looks like my kind of place. I'm having cravings for beef empanadas and maduros now.

They did call it arroz con gandules, and it tasted correct (I've had many Puerto Rican friends in the past). And I debated if I wanted maduros or tostones, but my sweet tooth won out like always.

• Like 1