• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Westminster City Council demands burgers be fully cooked

I am afraid that food businesses can cut energy costs by cooking their food to a lower temperature for a shorter period of time.

I really doubt this. that would involve a lot more intelligence than there is in the 'on the line' food business. think of the heat, lights etc of these places.

if they under cook, its out of low end minimum wage can't be bothered ness.

Agree totally. Can't be botheredness will be the main reason (i was thinking about a specific case i read about in Environmental Health News to be fair). I stand corrected. My point was that Westminster clamping down on rare burgers is more about ensuring food safety than heavy handed 'food police' depriving people of their liberty to eat rare burgers.

I have had food poisoning and never want it again. I like my burgers cooked and safe to eat and I expect food businesses to have food safety systems in place to manage the risks. Is that too much to ask?

If you don't order your burgers rare, it doesn't cause you any risk if someone else does... so a rule like that doesn't really benefit you in any way and not having that rule doesn't harm you in any way.

I think it means Westminster Council are clamping down on food businesses selling their burgers rare (or undercooked) to all of their customers (if they have asked for their burger rare or not). I am afraid that food businesses can cut energy costs by cooking their food to a lower temperature for a shorter period of time. Some people put profits ahead of public health. I fully support Westminster's stance on this and hope other councils follow their example.

In general the grill/flattop is on and using energy whether or not there is a burger cooking on it.