• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone use a caramel cutter?

minas6907

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone uses a caramel cutter, the long rod with multiple large round cutting disks attached. The reason I'm asking is that I'm in the process of purchasing items for a small business, and I'm not thinking about getting an actual caramel cutter, but a five disk pastry wheel. Now I know that a caramel cutter simply marks the slab into even squares for cutting manually with a knife, but, mostly I'm just wondering if a muli-disk pastry wheel would do just as good a job. I'm just trying to decide right now if the purchase of the pastry wheels is worth it. I use 3/4 inch angle pieces that make up my frame, and I use one of those pieces to line up the cut with a knife so it's straight, but I'd like to do this faster and with a little more consistency. One thing I'm worried about is marking the whole slab into squares, then when I go to cut with a knife, the squares getting a little deformed and thus not very helpful anymore. Overall, I think I make my caramels a tiny bit more firm then most, so it may not be an issue, but it was just a thought that occurred to me. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

I use a caramel cutter and I use it to cut, not just mark. I have the large 5 or 6 inch blades. I only have about 8 blades on it because that is what I can handle. I have another knife that has 15 blades. It is too heavy and awkward for me. The pastry wheels are not very sturdy. I don't think you could cut caramel, only mark. I like my squares to be even and I think the round knives are the best way.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I also have a caramel cutter - I use it a lot, like Chocolot I like my caramels cut cleanly and square. I also have a pastry wheel, and it can not do what a caramel cutter can do. It's an investment that is well worth it.

Haven't used a caramel cutter, but I have my own cutter, made of 4" dia s/s wheels spaced 1" apart. It will not cut caramel, but I use it to mark.

I make about 3 batches of caramel per week, recipie unashamedly stolen from Grewling's book, so it is fairly soft.

I use a regular Chef's knife to cut the caramel--no greasing or buttering or warming up with a torch, just the Chef's knife.

What is important is HOW you use the knife, I get clean cuts with no sticking by moving my knife back and forth while cutting--mimicing an electric knife. If the knife does not move, it will stick.

I do the same, I cut the caramels exactly how it's instructed to in chocolates an confections, always keeping the bade moving. Mostly I was wondering if a multi pasty wheel could speed it up, but for the amount I'm making (way less then you) I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I think I cook my caramel slightly longer then most. I like them soft, but not ultra gooey, they soften in your mouth, I think they look nice with nice sharp cut edges. Anywho, thanks again.

• 8 years later...

I have one of the older caramel cutters with wooden handles that I got from Tomric. I called them because the handles are splitting and was told the company that made the cutter is out of business. They have a new cutter but say the spacers are different. The person on the phone kept telling me to use the website for all my questions. They were really no help at all. If I have to get a new cutter I'm not going through Tomric. 

If the spacers are different it's really going to screw my whole process up. I have expensive frames and everything lines up now. This is a big problem.

Has anyone found alternative handles? My first choice is to repair what I have.

Can anyone recommend a company that will actually help me find the right new cutter if I need one? 

Are the Savage cutters worth it?

Thank you in advance. I'm frustrated after that call. I was prepared to get a new cutter, the new one on the Tomric website, but they didn't seem interested in talking to me.

checking the price of new stuff, methinks you could have plastic/nylon/HDPE handles turned and mounted for less money....

or even a DIY approach - split the wood handles completely, remount with epoxy, fill any voids with epoxy and sand smooth.

if you run this thru a machine washer, I'd recommend the HDPE route - wood and diswashers never ends well....

• Like 1

Depending on where you live, if there is an Amish community nearby, they can make you new handles and mount them for you.

another option is a school that offers vo-tech training, they could turn a handle easily.  
and, if all else fails, remember, if duct tape won’t fix it, it’s not broken

i have a Savage cutter.  I’ve used it going on 25 years and it’s awesome

Edited by RobertM (log)

8 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I have one of the older caramel cutters with wooden handles that I got from Tomric. I called them because the handles are splitting and was told the company that made the cutter is out of business. They have a new cutter but say the spacers are different. The person on the phone kept telling me to use the website for all my questions. They were really no help at all. If I have to get a new cutter I'm not going through Tomric. 

If the spacers are different it's really going to screw my whole process up. I have expensive frames and everything lines up now. This is a big problem.

Has anyone found alternative handles? My first choice is to repair what I have.

Can anyone recommend a company that will actually help me find the right new cutter if I need one? 

Are the Savage cutters worth it?

Thank you in advance. I'm frustrated after that call. I was prepared to get a new cutter, the new one on the Tomric website, but they didn't seem interested in talking to me.

So the spacers are just washers - the correct combination of them will give you the correct distance between blades if that is the issue.  I have a couple of cutters with wooden handles at least one of which was from Tomric. I have fiddled the distance between the blades with washers for different purposes. 

I've never had any issues with Tomric but then I always go straight to Brian! 

Savage cutters are lovely - but pricy for sure.