• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

14 hours ago, LePetitPrince said:

WOW ... Those are truly a work of art - masterpiece material. Must take forever to get the colouring effect though?

Its a little bit of labour, but not that bad, actually, when you get your workflow down.

I've got a yogurt warmer to keep all of my cocoa butters warm, after I've tempered them, so they're ready to go when I need them. I spray different shades of colour (there are 3 colour transitions in this piece) from light to dark...the effect is called ombré. :)

Edited by Dallas (log)

11 hours ago, DianaB said:

Would you you advise on what the flavour(s) are for those of us that can only dream of tasting your beautiful creations?

This is a lavender infused white chocolate ganache, with wild blueberries.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Dallas - further to our discussion over in the workshop report thread, how have you gotten the blue line in the middle?

I didn't know you were discussing this in another thread...but cool. Its a really nice technique that one can riff on, for a variety of looks.

I use a low tack, paper material tape...its kind of like masking tape, but has a very low tack (no residue) and uses either an acrylic or epoxy type of adhesive, which is suitable for direct or indirect food contact.

22 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I didn't know you were discussing this in another thread...but cool. Its a really nice technique that one can riff on, for a variety of looks.

I use a low tack, paper material tape...its kind of like masking tape, but has a very low tack (no residue) and uses either an acrylic or epoxy type of adhesive, which is suitable for direct or indirect food contact.

Can you put a picture of or link to the tape?

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Can you put a picture of or link to the tape?

Not today, since I'm at home for the long weekend. :)

I'll try to remember to take a picture when I'm at my shop next.

18 hours ago, Dallas said:

Its great to see everybody's works. Keep them coming!

This is my most recent bonbon creation...cant seem to keep these on the shelves though. I'm going to have to make a LOT more! :)

20160519-IMG_0767-Edit.jpg

Just gorgeous!

What brand colors are you using? Chef Rubber? I'm trying to find some good colors to experiment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trisme11 said:

Just gorgeous!

What brand colors are you using? Chef Rubber? I'm trying to find some good colors to experiment.

Roxy & Rich. 

And they offer small 2oz bottles, so you can buy a bunch and experiment with many shades without big cost, until you figure out what works for you. :)

• Like 2

Just now, Dallas said:

Roxy & Rich. 

And they offer small 2oz bottles, so you can buy a bunch and experiment with many shades without big cost, until you figure out what works for you. :)

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Dallas said:

Its a little bit of labour, but not that bad, actually, when you get your workflow down.

I've got a yogurt warmer to keep all of my cocoa butters warm, after I've tempered them, so they're ready to go when I need them. I spray different shades of colour (there are 3 colour transitions in this piece) from light to dark...the effect is called ombré. :)

I am curious which 3 colors you used for the ombre effect.

Over on the report for the 2016 workshop thread we have been discussing how Morato makes a nice fine line on one of his pieces. 

Workshop thread

So I set out to see if I could duplicate his technique. I had thought that perhaps painting a straight line on the mold would be sufficient. Nope!

IMG_2216.jpg

On the left you see my attempts to draw a straight line - on the right you can see that dragging a tool through wet coloured cocoa butter spray produces a much finer and straighter line. 

I also played a little with his layered colours on a couple of things - 

IMG_2219.jpg

These I sprayed first with 50% dark chocolate in cocoa butter, then backed with a variety of colours of luster dust - then sprayed with red cocoa butter. 

IMG_2222.jpg

Sprayed these first with a dark red cocoa butter mixed with additional cocoa butter, then again some different luster dusts behind (bronze, red, silver), then sprayed orange cocoa butter behind. 

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

A had a little Alice Cooper eye trouble with a few because of the heat in the room after I painted in the eyes. These were sprayed with 50% dark chocolate in cocoa butter, then some were backed with bronze, a couple with gold, a couple with silver and the rest with nothing. Then molded in milk chocolate.  Filled with hazelnut gianduja. 

• Like 14

I can't decide whether I like the ladybugs or the hedgehogs better.  Both are adorable!

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 0:06 PM, kriz6912 said:

- Vanilla marshmallow, crunchy cara crakine, moulded milk chocolate

040. Mini marshmallows_400.jpg

Kris, does your fantastic looking marshmallow contain gelatin?