Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Finally have time to post pics of my Christmas bonbons.

 

Flavours are

Blue Green - Dark shell - ameretto marzipan

Heart - Dark shell - Baileys Ganache

Gold ball - Dark shell - Sortilege Ganache

Copper dome - Dark Shell - Peanut butter salted caramel

Stripe - Cointreau Ganache

Red splatter - Peppermint Vodka Ganache

Black one - Sambuca Ganache

All capped with milk chocolate - some issues there but they will be cleaned up for next round.

 

 

03920BFE-66AD-44C6-8D8A-EB954B45FB07_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8bed9b93f4a448cd2dc7a6504c7fc9c1.jpeg1D9C409F-BD5F-493B-BF6F-8CAB03BC566D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5c7f341fb4b00ff05696003239b9959c.jpeg37F885D3-BBEA-4E3C-9BE8-1E5547CC8B49_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.772f44676acb0651cb675520d85cbfe6.jpeg

Wow!  Just beautiful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 12:46 AM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi Louise - where did you source the containers from?  Being a newbie i went and bought bottles that will hold 8 oz - wtf was I thinking?  I just bought 12 bottles or roxy & rich colours so i should be good for a while but I am going through alot of red green and yellow right now.

Hiya - i went to good old Amazon for these. Great price too! 

70904690-97AC-482D-A9E2-C30A5811B2A3.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

0E8E1D60-115F-434A-B5CD-5C74A6AFAC84.thumb.jpeg.d79103fe10dd314c7624dc143b59f60d.jpeg
 

Quite happy with the shine on these - airbrushed roxy & rich green sphene and gold, shelled in dark chocolate, filled with rosemary infused caramel ganache. 


Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, pastrygirl said:

0E8E1D60-115F-434A-B5CD-5C74A6AFAC84.thumb.jpeg.d79103fe10dd314c7624dc143b59f60d.jpeg
 

Quite happy with the shine on these - airbrushed roxy & rich green sphene and gold, shelled in dark chocolate, filled with rosemary infused caramel ganache. 

 

Those look great - How did you infuse the rosemary?  did you use an oil extract?  I love making caramel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Those look great - How did you infuse the rosemary?  did you use an oil extract?  I love making caramel. 


I poured hot caramel sauce over fresh rosemary and let it steep for a while then strained before mixing with chocolate 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, pastrygirl said:


I poured hot caramel sauce over fresh rosemary and let it steep for a while then strained before mixing with chocolate 

Ahh - the last time I made rosemary caramel I steeped the rosemary in the cream and then strained it before adding it to the sugar.  It's a great combo I think - Now that I think about it I might try an Earl Grey tea caramel - I made an earl grey ganache a while ago and really liked it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the planets align and you get that Dubovik shine 😊😊Homemade strawberry lemongrass jam with a layer of strawberry ganache, and ruby ganache.

7E26C834-5C25-4755-9F47-0ED3BB823A3B.jpeg


Edited by Louise nadine brill (log)
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to use up some colored cocoa butter colors that don't get used very much.  Here's the latest: 

 

Clockwise from Top Left: Banana Passionfruit, Vanilla Caramel, Peanut Butter, Hot Chocolate (dark chocolate ganache with vanilla marshmallow) 

 Chocs.jpg.14fce282ff7fefee478735e31fe83edb.jpg


Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a few for Valentine’s Day. Some experiment flavors.  

Mimosa-Prosecco and Orange, 

Creme Brûlée-vanilla bean custard type ganache with soft caramel and crunchy caramel bits

Gold with hazelnut crunch-Gold ganache with dark chocolate crunch layer of feuilletine, toasted hazelnuts and praline paste,

Raspberry Orange-Raspberry Filling with dark chocolate orange ganache

Chocolate caramel-caramel ganache with sea salt

Ruby with Strawberry Cheesecake-cheesecake ganache with strawberry filling and a crispy crust

And hazelnut repeat to use up shells

80EB5847-4554-4E3B-8316-5531FB0D644B.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are gorgeous! Can I ask how'd you do the cheesecake crispy crust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

So, like I said this was all experimento 😊.

I used 40g tempered white chocolate, 20g cocoa butter, 20g toasted graham crumbs, 25g feuilletine, 3g brown butter, pinch of salt. Rolled it between sheets parchment paper. 
This photo shows a cut of it, this one the crust is a little thin I think. And I capped these with white since it was what was ready and I wanted that cheesecake filling sealed. 

40998B41-4F98-479A-8250-D23501B75946.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Valentine's Day production, but just experimenting. I don't get to do fun stuff like these at work, not yet anyway, so I do it on my own spare time 😁.

I had this idea brewing for few weeks and finally I managed to execute it.

Cherry compote, creme fraiche ganache (plain a simple dark chocolate and creme fraiche, nothing else. It made the smoothest ganache ever, I am in love!), small disk of pistachio gianduia, truth to be told, I didn't have any round cutters, i had to use a small pastry tip, they were tiny! Again at work I don't have a lot of specialized tools, most of the stuff i brought from home.

20200207_115043.jpg

20200207_115112.jpg

20200207_115555.jpg

20200207_115216.jpg


Edited by Desiderio (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Vanessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Desiderio said:

Not Valentine's Day production, but just experimenting. I don't get to do fun stuff like these at work, not yet anyway, so I do it on my own spare time 😁.

I had this idea brewing for few weeks and finally I managed to execute it.

Cherry compote, creme fraiche ganache (plain a simple dark chocolate and creme fraiche, nothing else. It made the smoothest ganache ever, I am in love!), small disk of pistachio gianduia, truth to be told, I didn't have any round cutters, i had to use a small pastry tip, they were tiny! Again at work I don't have a lot of specialized tools, most of the stuff i brought from home.

20200207_115043.jpg

20200207_115112.jpg

20200207_115555.jpg

20200207_115216.jpg

 

 

Did you feel the creme fraiche flavor came through on the ganache?  I am going to make up a batch of creme fraiche today to try it out in a ganache.  I love that idea!!  But was curious if you got much of the tangy flavor from it.  I have done a goat cheese ganache before that had a really nice smooth and tangy flavor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that all in all, I din't get a lot of the tangy profile, mostly the creaminess, but also the chocolate I am using at this moment is not of the best quality (what I have available at work), it has a quite dominant flavor. In any case the overall texture of the ganache was incredibly smooth, I think I am hooked.


Vanessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passion Fruit, last one for Valentine’s 

5E8B1512-624B-4C2A-9C05-5C47E617B7B2.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 4:12 PM, pastrygirl said:

0E8E1D60-115F-434A-B5CD-5C74A6AFAC84.thumb.jpeg.d79103fe10dd314c7624dc143b59f60d.jpeg
 

Quite happy with the shine on these - airbrushed roxy & rich green sphene and gold, shelled in dark chocolate, filled with rosemary infused caramel ganache. 

 

Those look incredible!! I'm curious, what PSI do you run your airbrush at? I tend  to have specking issues, but yours look great!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very happy to show my first bonbons in this thread. For good light, I had to go outside in the snow to take the pictures, as my window is right now completely covered with snow. 

IMG_20200215_111654_313.jpg

IMG_20200214_171745_713.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hendrix said:

I'm very happy to show my first bonbons in this thread. For good light, I had to go outside in the snow to take the pictures, as my window is right now completely covered with snow. 

 

Those are beautiful. Do you mind telling how you achieved the marbled effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, curls said:

@Hendrix they look beautiful. What flavors are they?

The purple ones are filled with blueberry and crème fraîche. The red ones with Minneola and Rooibostea.

 

9 hours ago, Jim D. said:

 

Those are beautiful. Do you mind telling how you achieved the marbled effect?

I just brushed them with a sponge. First the darker color and then a lighter one to shine through behind. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 2:08 AM, Louise nadine brill said:

These are the ones i am considering... I 

904F9464-308C-42CC-B2C6-A5F492E2A74A.png

2C971645-AA4B-4A3E-83FF-FDC7944E4BF2.png

C9219F68-307C-4A7E-B44A-6E2709D85B56.png

 Okay update as promised...sheepishly. Finally found both my roll of diffraction grating, and the time to try out the technique. I bought the the bottom one...it was a cheap option, and i fancied the idea of the additional texture that the panels might offer. Results...dreary. Chocolate was perfectly tempered (i’m doing the Ecole Chocolat course right now and have been practicing my tabling technique 😁). I used both a small 1”squares magnetic tray and also spread a larger piece of diffraction grating directly. 1” squares were 100% rainbow free, not worth taking a photo of. I post here my BACK room finish sheet. If you squint, and are feeling generous - you can see the slightest bit of hologram here and there. Conclusion - buy the good stuff that Kerry mentioned (middle choice) and try, try, try again. 😁😁

25201AEC-E071-45AB-B657-72E883BAD4F6.jpeg

B8EA92CE-E862-49E6-BA59-C7CC5D4D3F62.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Louise nadine brill said:

 Okay update as promised...sheepishly. Finally found both my roll of diffraction grating, and the time to try out the technique. I bought the the bottom one...it was a cheap option, and i fancied the idea of the additional texture that the panels might offer. Results...dreary. Chocolate was perfectly tempered (i’m doing the Ecole Chocolat course right now and have been practicing my tabling technique 😁). I used both a small 1”squares magnetic tray and also spread a larger piece of diffraction grating directly. 1” squares were 100% rainbow free, not worth taking a photo of. I post here my BACK room finish sheet. If you squint, and are feeling generous - you can see the slightest bit of hologram here and there. Conclusion - buy the good stuff that Kerry mentioned (middle choice) and try, try, try again. 😁😁

25201AEC-E071-45AB-B657-72E883BAD4F6.jpeg

B8EA92CE-E862-49E6-BA59-C7CC5D4D3F62.jpeg

 

Just now, Louise nadine brill said:

 Okay update as promised...sheepishly. Finally found both my roll of diffraction grating, and the time to try out the technique. I bought the the bottom one...it was a cheap option, and i fancied the idea of the additional texture that the panels might offer. Results...dreary. Chocolate was perfectly tempered (i’m doing the Ecole Chocolat course right now and have been practicing my tabling technique 😁). I used both a small 1”squares magnetic tray and also spread a larger piece of diffraction grating directly. 1” squares were 100% rainbow free, not worth taking a photo of. I post here my BACK room finish sheet. If you squint, and are feeling generous - you can see the slightest bit of hologram here and there. Conclusion - buy the good stuff that Kerry mentioned (middle choice) and try, try, try again. 😁😁

25201AEC-E071-45AB-B657-72E883BAD4F6.jpeg

B8EA92CE-E862-49E6-BA59-C7CC5D4D3F62.jpeg
 

ps...If I were to consider using diffraction grating in production, I would not use window film - even if I had better results - just from a sanitary standpont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see it clearly in some areas and less clearly but still there in other areas. I strongly suspect lighting and angle are key components when viewing or photographing the results of this technique but I see more there that's encouraging than discouraging.


It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I can see it clearly in some areas and less clearly but still there in other areas. I strongly suspect lighting and angle are key components when viewing or photographing the results of this technique but I see more there that's encouraging than discouraging.

I agree. This particular sheet had sections that were diffraction and sections that were flat - had i been more successful i think the contrast would have looked pretty. As it was, my ho hum holograms sort of blended into the flat areas. I just ordered the diffraction grating that Kerry used and will report on my next try. 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my latest work :) 

 

on my Instagram (Nickkunst) you can follow my work.

68548F57-9FBF-46DF-B92A-C128D63DDC4B.jpeg

348EA28E-3A94-4017-9C0A-6A642EAFD9E8.jpeg

7A9323FA-0564-4470-A426-ACFAA0329CD0.jpeg

51A56AE8-5FB0-4351-9E06-212A6685AF5C.jpeg

41BE2DD6-304A-4732-982A-0B475429EC60.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By markg109
      Hi All,
      I am an artist ( oil and pastels) by trade so the coloring of artisan chocolates really appeals to me. I was wondering if I could make my own colored cocoa butter using oil candy colors and cocoa butter, or is there more involved.
      Also, if I add the oil candy color to white chocolate will it affect the temper?
      Thanks,
      Mark
    • By eglies
      Hi there, I’m looking for some interesting flavours for truffles. Any combination of filling and coating ideas? For lemon, dark ganache, orange and caramel example. 
      I also realised that when deciding to use ready made truffle shells filling needs to have a creamy texture. Any advice on this? 
    • By CharTruff
      Hello! 
       
      I am doing some spring cleaning and am selling some of my used polycarbonate molds. I've attached pictures and dimensions below.  The mold prices do not include shipping fee. I will ship these via USPS priority mail. 
       
      For estimation purposes only, 4 - 5 molds can fit in a medium box and it costs $15.05 to ship. Please let me know if you have any questions.  
       
      Thank you. 
      Charlotte W. 





    • By eglies
      Hello everyone!
       
      I was wondering if anyone could help me out with these design attached?
       
      I manage to make it on the table somehow and then when trying it into the mould it just doesnt work  
       
      Any tips on this ?
       
      Thank you!!

    • By ptw1953
      I am wishing to purchase some black cocao butter, but it is scarcer than hobby-horse sh*te here in the UK. I do have some cocao butter, and some black fat-soluble powder. Tips and tricks for the making of black cocao butter at home would be most welcome...
       
      ptw1953
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...