• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

4 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Honestly though, you go through so little. You know I'm mixing my own now which really cuts back on costs, but also I've realized that if I cap my airgun gravity feed bowl I used about a third of what I was using with no cap. I'm sure it has to do with airflow.

Wow I’ve never considered this for some reason! On Instagram I also saw you removed the nozzle piece which I’m going to test out too! Thanks for the tips 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel D said:

Wow I’ve never considered this for some reason! On Instagram I also saw you removed the nozzle piece which I’m going to test out too! Thanks for the tips 😀

I've definitely settled into a very solid ritual. 

1. Room to 18/19º

2. Mounted heat gun next to my spray box on low

3. Spray the hot air through my gravity feed cup onto the inside of my write (think testing baby milk bottle), and as soon as I feel it on my wrist I hit the nozzle briefly (1 second)

4. Loosen then adjust the needle front and back a few times just to make sure everything is clear, then settle it pretty far back and lock it back in

5. One more quick hit of warm air through the cup onto my write.

6. Load it up and spray.

And yes, I never use the tip since I'm not doing any precision work. (lines, etc)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Continuing to play with the dendrites.

Gorgeous!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I didn't take a photo, but when I was out for a walk this morning, I looked closely at the paint in the crosswalk, and saw dendrite-like formations in the white stripes. I believe those particular crosswalks are made with a roller and a fairly thick paint.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 8/27/2018 at 10:01 PM, Jim D. said:

Very witty.

Story of my life:  Just as I order the material to get into this design, it has become ordinary (and soon passé). Oh well, it will be new to my customers.

Don't sweat it....people are still doing splatters and fingerswirls, right?   If those aren't passé yet, then I think you're safe with dendrites. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Don't sweat it....people are still doing splatters and fingerswirls, right?   If those aren't passé yet, then I think you're safe with dendrites. :)

I'm sure you are correct. When, by the way, is your shop opening? I'm anxious to see what you are selling as you have such interesting designs.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Any smooth mold seems to work

Wow!  Amazing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/3/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jim D. said:

I'm sure you are correct. When, by the way, is your shop opening? I'm anxious to see what you are selling as you have such interesting designs.

It is a long and crazy process getting the business up and running.  Just finding a physical space to locate the production facility is proving to be a challenge.  The products we put out will have a completely different look than what I've done in the past. We're going in a whole new direction.  Can't wait to unveil it.  

52 minutes ago, Bentley said:

It is a long and crazy process getting the business up and running.  Just finding a physical space to locate the production facility is proving to be a challenge.  The products we put out will have a completely different look than what I've done in the past. We're going in a whole new direction.  Can't wait to unveil it.  

Now I'm really intrigued. Do you have a website yet?

7 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Now I'm really intrigued. Do you have a website yet?

No website yet.  interviewing designers/developers this week.  Priority #1 though is getting the space leased and set up so that we can produce products to put on the website.  

On 8/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Some were dilute chocolate - other's black cocoa butter. Cocoa butter alone is fine - just make sure it's over tempered.

Is adding a little extra EZtemper silk to cocoa butter an easy way to get an overtempered condition? If so, what percentage would you recommend?

8 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Is adding a little extra EZtemper silk to cocoa butter an easy way to get an overtempered condition? If so, what percentage would you recommend?

I suspect it would help - probably the 1% and then let it get a little cool.

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Passion fruit bonbons for a private event coming up. I love and hate this mold. Pops out so easily...but pops out too easily when I go to back the bonbon.

Those are beautiful. You are so right about that mold. Same with half-spheres and cocoa pods.  I suppose it's because they are so shallow, but although it means they are very easy to unmold with almost no sticking, they are very tricky to seal. In her videos Kirsten Tibballs of Savour points out that you really have to examine them at eye level to catch the tilt.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Those are beautiful. You are so right about that mold. Same with half-spheres and cocoa pods.  I suppose it's because they are so shallow, but although it means they are very easy to unmold with almost no sticking, they are very tricky to seal. In her videos Kirsten Tibballs of Savour points out that you really have to examine them at eye level to catch the tilt.

I run my drywall blade over the top of my mold folded into the top (v. cutting into) and that levels them down for me. Where I run into issues if I try to rap out airbubbles in the filling.