• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

I wish for a very merry Christmas for all @ egullet.  I think of you all as being some of the most inspiring and creative people I have ever come into contact with. It is a pleasure to converse with, and learn from, you all...

Philip

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

IMG_4646.thumb.jpg.e6e78acfa02eed85ad350bea45c4c91d.jpg

Back to Jo's question on how much chocolate to add to a mold. 

IMG_4652.thumb.jpg.325fc6ceeceac01c3a7440308a0c67b3.jpg

IMG_4654.thumb.jpg.7ded8b33065174c2294f0cd7e6c68ab4.jpg

Apparently too much!

• Like 5

I always struggle with that too, and that's why I'm looking forward to doing 3D work at the eG workshop in May

Just now, gfron1 said:

I always struggle with that too, and that's why I'm looking forward to doing 3D work at the eG workshop in May

I was over at Walker's Chocolates in my home town - they do all sorts of stuff on the spinner. I asked how they decide how much to put in - Jen said trial and error - sometimes the bunny heads are solid!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Heres one I'm pretty proud of, I used the 'feather technique' from the Savour School videos, its a clever design, wish I thought it it myself. I didnt color the chocolate and cocoa butter mixture black as they did in the video, but just used the same chocolate that I used for casting the shells. The center is a white chocolate butter ganache with Kahlua.

2019-03-21 14.58.35.jpg

2019-03-21 15.02.45.jpg

Edited by minas6907 Submitted too soon (log)
  • Like 6

On 3/27/2019 at 5:08 AM, minas6907 said:

Heres one I'm pretty proud of,

Minas6907, you should be. Your chocolates look beautiful. May I ask what you think of Savour School? Do you find their online videos good?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, EllaCh said:

Minas6907, you should be. Your chocolates look beautiful. May I ask what you think of Savour School? Do you find their online videos good?

Thank you very much! I think the videos definitely are good, although I was expecting a tiny bit more on the sugar confections side, but its fine. Its not bad to just try out for a month, the price comes to about $9.00 usd, and I know I've spent alot more then that on useless kitchen items. One motivating factor was that I've been wanting to make a glazed entremet cake, nothing too complicated, just a simple cake. The Savour School videos seemed like a solid reference to turn to, since I'm not familiar with the cakes, mousses, or molds used, I figured it would help me to see the process done properly.

Edited by minas6907 (log)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, minas6907 said:

Thank you very much! I think the videos definitely are good, although I was expecting a tiny bit more on the sugar confections side, but its fine.

Thank you for your reply, I think I will try it although I am wondering whether they offer good number of pralines, bonbons etc recipes. I emailed them asking whether it is possible to get a detailed list of recipes available but no reply at all. Anyway, our bonbons are truly georgeous 🙂

I asked this question previously, and @keychris, who is very familiar with the school, answered me as follows:

I just a quick count, there's 18 videos for what I would consider bonbons, including moulded and enrobed chocolates and truffles.

I signed up and have profited a great deal from the videos. Kirsten Tibballs, who does most of them, is very talented in decorating bonbons and has many good ideas. There are guest teachers doing some of the videos, such as Melissa Coppel. Kirsten's demonstration of the "feathering" technique (referred to most often on eGullet as dendrites) makes the whole process easy to understand--see the example from minas a few posts earlier. And finally, I love watching KIrsten: she seems to have such a good time in the work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I asked this question previously, and @keychris, who is very familiar with the school, answered me as follows:

Thank you, Jim D. 🙂

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      I have just started my own chocolaterie. We opened two weeks ago, we are only online business. It’s 15 days before Easter here. I have produced Bonbons but don’t know if it’s enough. I have budgeted for this but nobody can tell me how it will go right? I’m scared we won’t cope with last minute orders that week...
    • By tinyragebaking
      Hi everyone! 

I  lurk more often than post but I love this website! I've been dabbling in making bon bons and I wanted to ask if anybody here knew of any couverture dairy-free chocolates? One of my good friends is getting married and I would love to surprise her with some bon bons, but she has a severe allergy to caesin (so much so that if there's cross contamination with other food, she risks going to anaphylactic shock).  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions

Here's a photo of some of the stuff I've been having fun with.  I did from left to right an olive oil and thyme center, raspberry and green tea, and blueberry ginger! 

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By eglies
      hi everyone, 

Another problem occurred with our caramel recipe for our bonbons. I had a perfect texture using my recipe for 32 cavities and when I multiplied that by 2 the caramel was a completely different texture and very runny.

Any suggestions why this happened?
      Thank you
    • By Jim D.
      I have an opportunity to obtain (without a trip to NYC, where everything appears available) some hard-to-find liqueurs or brandies for my chocolate work, primarily in ganaches. I already have a poire Williams eau-de-vie and a framboise one as well. I have German kirschwasser but am getting low on that, so am thinking of getting more while I have this chance. For new ones, I'm thinking primarily of apricot. I have heard there are some wonderful European apricot brandies/liqueurs, but don't know which really taste of apricots and are worth purchasing. And the other flavor I would like is a strawberry brandy or liqueur. Online I've found Dolceterra Marcati wild strawberries liqueur and Drillaut strawberry liqueur but know nothing about either. I lean more toward a liqueur/cordial than eau-de-vie because sometimes I think the latter does not always taste specifically of the fruit.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, including ideas for fruits I haven't mentioned.