• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

31 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

38 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

You can also mix in a little milk or white chocolate to make the CB thicker and more opaque, like the red on these cacao pods - finger painted in but shows up decently.  I've definitely experienced thinner layers of red all but disappearing on dark chocolate.  The white (Chef Rubber white diamond) was also mixed with more white chocolate (callebaut zephyr).  These are 60% dark shells.

IMG_6296.thumb.JPG.e2620f2ffebfc83ceb60fe269a598481.JPG

• Like 2

@Bentley I think the red on those looks awesome. I realize that doesn't count for much if it's not what you want but it really does look nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

I found this photo from 2011. I sprayed all the molds the same. Yellow and pink. Some I shelled in white chocolate, some in dark. It was interesting to notice the color change with the shelling chocolate.IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.8b6fbbc7c5a94885f64d2db2c5230893.JPG

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Edited by Bentley (log)

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Is the red you are using transparent? 

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Is the red you are using transparent? 

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

I'm having trouble figuring out if they still sell them. I used to have a whole lot of bottles of their older colors - but they were lost in the overheated warmer incident at the Niagara workshop in 2013. For some reason I think they might have been called classic.

Posted (edited)

I was at there for the incident....it was horrible, but, the professionals in us pulled together and moved on......

for those reading this, do not try these experiments at home, leave it to the Pros

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 3

Lemongrass & dark chocolate, moulded dark chocolate...

_069. Green lemongrass (C)_400.jpg

• Like 6

• Similar Content

• By MrJonathanGreen40
      One of my friends is leaving for Spain next week, and I’m planning to surprise her with a party before she leaves. Since she’s a huge lover of sweets, I decided to buy her a cake. I don’t know where to start looking, but my brother suggested that I buy from this online provider of custom cakes. I checked their website, and I think they have cakes that my friend will love. I haven’t bought anything yet because I want to be 100% sure that their cakes are truly excellent. Do you have any idea how I should examine cakes through the Internet? What are the things that I must take into consideration? Thanks!
    • By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).
    • By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kerry Beal
      It's that time again - I'm the group leader for a group of newly minted Ecole Chocolat grads taking a masters course. This one is in Wieze, Belgium. You may recall my last trip as group leader for Ecole when I took a group to Valrhona in France.

I got my packing done on Sunday - was all prepared, car was to pick me up at 6 pm to drive me to the airport. Got a little suspicious when the child was late getting off the bus from school - the driver said that the highway wasn't moving well. At about 5:15 I got a call from the limo service to say that the car that was coming to get me had moved 2 car lengths in the last 30 minutes. Apparently a car roll over on the westbound lanes of highway had ejected two people into the eastbound lanes and the entire highway was closed in both directions.

So I set out in my own vehicle - which of course had no gas, and needed oil... at least the toll highway got me past the problem.  Airport wants $175/week to park - so a quick text to @Alleguede and he came to fetch my car from the airport to park in his driveway until I return.

So here I sit in the lounge awaiting my departure.

I'm doing the Jet Lag program that I have done several times before that has worked well for me. Overcoming Jet Lag, by Charles F. Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon. This involves food and caffeine modification. So for the past 4 days I've been drinking Rooibos Provence throughout the day and between 3 and 4:30 slugging down as much real tea as my bladder can handle! The dietary part consists of alternating days of 'feasting' and 'fasting' with high protein breakfasts and lunches and high carb dinners. I had planned to get the driver to stop at the Tim Horton's at the top of my street to pick up the black coffee that is to be taken at around 6 pm the day of travel - unfortunately as I was driving myself that didn't happen - so when I hit the lounge I drank down two cups of strong black caffeinated coffee - better late than never. I'm not much of a coffee drinker - and particularly not black. Should be good for some palpitations when I start the next part of the program which is to sleep as soon as I get on the plane!

This is a 'fasting day', 800 calories suggested - I left my carb meal until I reached the lounge.

]

One of the two cups of coffee.

These are the "Gentlemen Retire to the Library' chocolates that I posted before that I am taking along - port wine PDF and tobacco ganache. I used Sosa tobacco flavouring this time instead of a cigar so I don't have to concern myself with nicotine poisoning.

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way.