• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

On 8/25/2021 at 11:54 PM, Jonathan said:

Visiting the Ocean - The Sea - Nori & Soy Sauce Caramel (you HAVE to try this combo, it’s absolutely wild)

Do you have a recipe for the nori and soy sauce caramel? Sounds great. Ive been enjoying miso caramel, curious on how soy sauce nori caramel tastes

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikanPotatos said:

Do you have a recipe for the nori and soy sauce caramel? Sounds great. Ive been enjoying miso caramel, curious on how soy sauce nori caramel tastes

Of course! So it’s roughly (working off the numbers in my head):

300 grams caster sugar

180 grams glucose

250-300 mL cream? Adjust as needed for consistency

50 grams butter

Nori to infuse into cream (a few sheets)

Soy sauce to taste. Just light soy, not dark. I used about 4-5 tablespoons since my butter was unsalted but I may have used more

Infuse the cream with the Nori + soy at a gentle heat, keep warm

Heat sugar + glucose till amber, about 155 celcius

Strain in the cream through a fine sieve then stir till the caramel hits around 104-106 celcius depending on what consistency you like. Take off the heat and emulsify the butter in

Edited by Jonathan (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hands on some vegan couvetures (sugarfree on the dark chocolate) from Felchlin so I decided to have a bit of a play. Definitely better than I expected!

The white bonbons are passionfruit daquiri, a passionfrut & lime pate de fruit with a rum, vanilla & lime zest ganache and the black hearts are sugarfree with a hazelnut gianduja. Both completely plant based. The block is vegan “milk” chocolate with freeze dried strawberries and popping candy. Honestly? Vegan or not the passionfruit was maybe my favourite flavour so far. They definitely outperformed my expectations

1431DC8F-475A-4EFF-8C80-F81A1F8E2187.jpeg

B2063CC5-076F-45DB-BBF0-FBEF4D80350C.jpeg

DC783F50-B4CF-492D-A7DD-B03A185B18DF.jpeg

E7FF9360-9A3E-4E6E-83CE-4972E9FD2AB5.jpeg

70724801-4AA7-4669-A049-88B1A5778D8F.jpeg

• Like 3

@JonathanI am a huge Felchlin fan but have been, of course, skeptical about sugar-free chocolate.  What do they use as a sweetener, and can it be tasted?  The only sweetener I have ever tried (not in chocolate) that is not bad is sucralose (Splenda).  But there are so many chemical roles that sugar plays in a confection that I am curious as to whether it is a crucial ingredient that can, in fact, be replaced.

31 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

@JonathanI am a huge Felchlin fan but have been, of course, skeptical about sugar-free chocolate.  What do they use as a sweetener, and can it be tasted?  The only sweetener I have ever tried (not in chocolate) that is not bad is sucralose (Splenda).  But there are so many chemical roles that sugar plays in a confection that I am curious as to whether it is a crucial ingredient that can, in fact, be replaced.

Maltilol was the alternative sugar and taste wise it was actually really close to a solid dark chocolate. I haven't tried their milk sugar free yet but interested to experiment now

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Thought I’d try my hand at an Aurora decoration for bars again, definitely an improvement on last time. These were a play on strawberry oreo cheesecake. Strawberry pate de fruit, vanilla cheesecake ganache, oreo & brown butter base

F40A6802-F0F6-4EC1-A99E-836A1449FB17.jpeg

Beautiful bars and the flavor combination sounds great too. How long does it take you to decorate these? How many do you make per batch / session?

17 minutes ago, curls said:

Beautiful bars and the flavor combination sounds great too. How long does it take you to decorate these? How many do you make per batch / session?

More of a personal development project than anything although an airbrush can really speed things up. The main time sink is the trees, I pumped out 20 bars and it took maybe 30-40 minutes to decorate them (not just this design) but most of that was bleeding different colours from the bloody airbrush. Scaling up wouldn't be too hard since you just spray each of the colours in sequence. I just only have 2 of these moulds (10 cavities each) as I don't have proper packaging for these

Edited by Jonathan (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1