• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

On 12/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, Jonathan said:

I think it’s relatively pure, I polish all the cavities with it and then re-polish with a clean cotton ball but I’m not 100% sure the second step is entirely necessary? I just worry about streaks or residue

I always repolish, especially on larger flat surfaces like tablets. I get disappointed when an item has streaks or release marks, even if only I notice it 😊.

Here's a few of my Christmas chocolates.

Orange Cardamom, Hazelnut Gianduja with Caramelized Pear and Rosemary, Olallieberry, Gold Chocolate with Tahini and Sesame Brittle, Roasted Dulcey with pecan praline paste and roasted pecans, and Raspberry Pinot Noir. 

Also, finally got my new airbrush and compressor put together. Whole new world there 😎.

EEB8566A-7F6B-4518-878B-6EF46CD0D6F5.jpeg

B30E102A-089F-4B03-B080-866542C3F048.jpeg

9F1F2C36-895B-4DF2-9815-A69075E5E6E9.jpeg

6DCBF49C-A46C-433B-8C6F-D4DFF4EF6204.jpeg

A51E644C-671B-459A-BE44-DB9C2F2F3B42.jpeg

6CA0532E-EEA0-4EC9-A69F-3785748506F1.jpeg

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, RWood said:

Roasted Dulcey with pecan praline paste and roasted pecans

I read "roasted duck" and thought I really wanted to taste it. I swear.

41 minutes ago, RWood said:

Raspberry Pinot Noir

This is the other one that intrigues me most. At least I suppose I read this right.

Teo

• Haha 1

Teo

38 minutes ago, teonzo said:

I read "roasted duck" and thought I really wanted to taste it. I swear.

This is the other one that intrigues me most. At least I suppose I read this right.

Teo

While I like trying new flavors, I'm afraid duck isn't one of them 🤷‍♀️😁.

The raspberry Pinot came from a cake I make. I used the syrup in the chocolates, but I like that stuff so much, I'll put it in anything😊

28 minutes ago, RWood said:

While I like trying new flavors, I'm afraid duck isn't one of them 🤷‍♀️😁.

If bacon works, then why not duck? I'll put "roast duck skin + milk chocolate" in my list of things to try.

30 minutes ago, RWood said:

The raspberry Pinot came from a cake I make. I used the syrup in the chocolates, but I like that stuff so much, I'll put it in anything😊

That combo sounds really delicious!

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

• 3 weeks later...

in re the discussion about coumarin flavourings (tonka, sweetgrass, etc), we use sweet woodruff for that. it grows by the bucketload in the back yard and makes a delightful syrup

On 12/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, teonzo said:

If bacon works, then why not duck?

The problem being, as much as I like bacon, it doesn't work as often as people like to think it does when they try to cram it into everything. The flavor of bacon works pretty nicely with chocolate, I'm just not a fan of the texture it usually ends up having in that situation. 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

The problem being, as much as I like bacon, it doesn't work as often as people like to think it does when they try to cram it into everything. The flavor of bacon works pretty nicely with chocolate, I'm just not a fan of the texture it usually ends up having in that situation. 

on top of this i'm not a big fan of divorcing bacon flavour from the texture. i personally would not want a bacon-flavoured ganache that was purely smooth, for example. 

i think you can get a lot of what bacon brings to the table with something like smoked salt.

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Never having tried bacon in a chocolate, I must ask what texture the bacon has.  Flabby (like undercooked bacon)?  I would think crispy bits might make for an unpleasant experience--bacon can get very crispy.   If I recall correctly, in previous chocolate-with-bacon discussions on eG, it was concluded that using the bacon fat is the best way to achieve the desired result.

4 hours ago, jimb0 said:

i'm not a big fan of divorcing bacon flavour from the texture.

I don't make chocolates but what about making Bacon fat (or duck fat) the flavor and not bacon itself?  like a bacon fat and pecan nougatine or orange, hazelnut duckfat center.  Just thinking out loud..

2 hours ago, Nickos said:

Chocolate bar :), do you want to make this design yourself? I made a tutorial on instagram.

Those look amazing! And thanks for sharing how you did it. Even if I never try it, I enjoy ĺearning how it was done.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys wanted to share those, really proud of that shine!

Fun fact: I accidentally heated this black cocoa butter for 1:50 in the microwave instead of 0:15. It went all the way up to 110C! I was horrified.

Turns out, cocoa butter isn't as fragile as chocolate. 😶

IMG_4277.jpg

• Like 9

Gorgeous Muscadelle! What did you use for the copper in the first one if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve finally gotten ahead on Valentines with the theme “Summer Lovin’” and did some Pina Colada bonbons (with the theme of Sun, sea and sky) and some passionfruit ones:

E5C56BC3-CFBD-46E5-BEAC-F18606695B4E.jpeg

B906DDEC-BD49-489D-BB5D-0930EB54AEF0.jpeg

7B235072-F060-41F3-9164-20906C0A9BAA.jpeg

DFEE8145-3F9F-40B4-A3C6-3A5DE8532BDF.jpeg

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Gorgeous Muscadelle! What did you use for the copper in the first one if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve finally gotten ahead on Valentines with the theme “Summer Lovin’” and did some Pina Colada bonbons (with the theme of Sun, sea and sky) and some passionfruit ones:

E5C56BC3-CFBD-46E5-BEAC-F18606695B4E.jpeg

B906DDEC-BD49-489D-BB5D-0930EB54AEF0.jpeg

7B235072-F060-41F3-9164-20906C0A9BAA.jpeg

DFEE8145-3F9F-40B4-A3C6-3A5DE8532BDF.jpeg

I love the first ones! They give a Van Gogh vibe!

Thats what I use for  some of my metallic effects:

I'm in love with the copper, it gives such a pretty result! But the one used for the quenelle chocolate (ombre) is the bronze highlighter.

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

Edited by Muscadelle (log)
  • Like 3

I failed to get the flavors listed.  Red domes are Strawberry Margarita. Used the Valrhona inspirations for that. The hearts wgold are Strawberry Baileys in milk chocolate.   Blk/wh cube is a mudslide in Carmelia.  Yellow/white are Pina Colada. Teal/silver dome is White Russian.  Orange yellow is mango layered w passion fruit ganache. Then  caramel hearts and cubes. Also did a vegan mixed berry with Felchlin's osa filling compound ...pale pink.   The hearts wtransfer sheet are Earl Grey. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: