• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I can see it clearly in some areas and less clearly but still there in other areas. I strongly suspect lighting and angle are key components when viewing or photographing the results of this technique but I see more there that's encouraging than discouraging.

I agree. This particular sheet had sections that were diffraction and sections that were flat - had i been more successful i think the contrast would have looked pretty. As it was, my ho hum holograms sort of blended into the flat areas. I just ordered the diffraction grating that Kerry used and will report on my next try. 😁

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First go at some enrobed truffles. It was fun! These are kirsch dark chocolate ganache in a dark chocolate shell and rolled in pistachios. I really like the flavor combo of cherry/pistachio. 

9D764E2D-D968-4446-BD5F-405056793E5F.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Such a great forum . I have been coming back and forward for a couple of years now and always asking questions . I thought i wold pput up some of our work . These where done a fair while back 

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Beautiful. I especially admire the perfect stripe in the second photo--very difficult to do in a tall dome like that.

Thank you Jim and you have always replied to my questions . I  really appreciate it . I havent moved on to the HVLP still :) . I dont know what happened but for some reason my Iwata Eclipse is working a treat . I m flying through moulds . Strange things is i have no idea why 😂😂😂

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, spennie said:

I havent moved on to the HVLP still :) . I dont know what happened but for some reason my Iwata Eclipse is working a treat . I m flying through moulds . Strange things is i have no idea why 😂😂😂

I love the expression "working a treat."  Out of context, I would have no idea what it meant.

I had something similar happen with my Grex. I had reached the point where I had to heat it every few minutes to get it flowing. I contacted Grex tech support (the most responsive tech people I have ever encountered), and they offered to clean it free of charge (I paid just the shipping). They knew it was for cocoa butter and so used nothing poisonous. When it came back, I was, of course, skeptical. But that was 1 1/2 years ago, and it has behaved ever since. Considering how small an airbrush needle is, it's a wonder, I suppose, why this doesn't happen all the time, given that I use a lot of cocoa butters with metallic bits (I try not to think of what those bits actually are). Someday I really need to learn how to clean the airbrush myself, but when I watch the videos on taking it apart, I am compelled to reach for the nearest bottle of gin.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I love the expression "working a treat."  Out of context, I would have no idea what it meant.

I had something similar happen with my Grex. I had reached the point where I had to heat it every few minutes to get it flowing. I contacted Grex tech support (the most responsive tech people I have ever encountered), and they offered to clean it free of charge (I paid just the shipping). They knew it was for cocoa butter and so used nothing poisonous. When it came back, I was, of course, skeptical. But that was 1 1/2 years ago, and it has behaved ever since. Considering how small an airbrush needle is, it's a wonder, I suppose, why this doesn't happen all the time, given that I use a lot of cocoa butters with metallic bits (I try not to think of what those bits actually are). Someday I really need to learn how to clean the airbrush myself, but when I watch the videos on taking it apart, I am compelled to reach for the nearest bottle of gin.

Its a london saying i think :) . Its where i am from . Yes i take the airbrush apart a bit , unfortunately without the gin xxx 

They don't have that super high gloss that a lot of submissions to this thread have because I use a custom 40-shore silicone mould instead of polycarb (due to the shape of the racing helmet), but here are some that are straight from the Racing Chocs showroom.

IMG_5043sml.jpg

• 2 months later...

Doing a little product development this weekend - slabs for enrobing. Very glad to have @patris's bowl for the dipping. Looking forward to playing some more with the effect on the right. 

IMG_1860.thumb.jpeg.97d4fca4f4cde13ca99613f2ba9ea3e1.jpeg

IMG_1878.thumb.jpeg.6c0b7e66563eaa013323d94cb9e197f1.jpeg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, relatively new to this whole chocolate business (it’s been about 3 months) but I’m quite happy with my progress so far. Finally got the hang of getting the shine on the shells. You can find my instagram at tenandsixchocolates but I’m sure I’ll be frequenting here more often!

E62D0AE7-67AA-46C3-BF9E-E41A2E6D5384.jpeg

CEC08253-F450-4E3E-969A-C315239893D1.jpeg

BB2473AB-14D5-4B58-8D38-9A62A969F1D3.jpeg

F1B50911-FCD1-4DEF-A215-D28FD1BC9C44.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, sbain said:

These are beautiful Jonathan. Nice work for someone new to the obsession/hobby/business. Keep shining!

Thanks! Still a bit of trial and error, haven’t had any real formal training but the internet is a marvel these days, I’ve learnt a lot just from browsing this forum and the advise you guys give

Edited by Jonathan (log)
  • Like 1

Finally have all the equipment and did my first big airbrushing project for Rosh hashana- after the first 100 or so, I finally got the hang of the apples and making the seam less visible, same for the pomegranates

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200914122903045_COVER.thumb.jpg.447b743ccc53874902ec074c9bc276a1.jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200914111020697_COVER.thumb.jpg.b5a227cda45a703881c84b61d4d3892a.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/lironpg/

www.mmm-chocolate.com

Edited by lironp
typo and website links (log)
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, lironp said:

Finally have all the equipment and did my first big airbrushing project for Rosh hashana- after the first 100 or so, I finally got the hang of the apples and making the seam less visible, same for the pomegranates

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200914122903045_COVER.thumb.jpg.447b743ccc53874902ec074c9bc276a1.jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200914111020697_COVER.thumb.jpg.b5a227cda45a703881c84b61d4d3892a.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/lironpg/

www.mmm-chocolate.com

Excellent work. Are the apple leaves part of the mold?

• Thanks 1