• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

19 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I immediately went looking for the stuff after seeing Kerry's post here and discovered it comes in a wide range of lines/mm. I had no idea whether more or less lines was better for chocolate work so I started doing way more than probably necessary reading of scientific information on diffraction grating. It appears that, in general, more lines is better up to a point. I'm assuming there would be no reason to make it beyond the point where it is no longer beneficial so more is probably better. But those scientific articles aren't dealing with chocolate so who knows if that changes things? :D So yes, I'm probably way overthinking this and I still haven't actually made the purchase. 

I chose the slightly more complex version as I recall

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I chose the slightly more complex version as I recall

The stuff I'm looking at comes in 500 and 1000 lines per mm. Pretty much the same price either way.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

The stuff I'm looking at comes in 500 and 1000 lines per mm. Pretty much the same price either way.

Looking back - looks like I got 13,500 lines/inch and double axis.

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Mine is the middle one 

The middle one is the one I'm looking at too. It comes in the 500/mm and 1000/mm I mentioned as well as the 13500/inch shown above. I didn't bother mentioning that one because I did the math and it works out to just slightly over 500/mm so I just assumed it was a non-metric variation on the 500.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ok after Christmas rush I will buy some and post my results here (or possibly in the “backroom finish” thread - depending on the outcome 😬😬). Would love to see others work/ experiences too. Also on ArtisAnne’s IG she had some moulds that had actual diffraction grating etched in to them - which was a really cool idea. I can't recall the manufacturing company name - i think out of Germany. Will try to find it and post here.

• 2 weeks later...

With the holiday coming up I need to make boxes of 6 bonbons for teachers, educational assistants, bus drivers and of course the neighbors. 

Fillings are black pepper and fig, browned butter bourbon, earl grey and orange caramel 

4F8C101D-FF72-45D3-8BC7-3304C808452D.thumb.jpeg.4b4bdf61ab043e08d0fcde14fe3f82f7.jpeg

F8B47E02-B948-42A7-AB4D-D109DBE53C60.thumb.jpeg.d6d46d6309d7fc08cf3ce60f8110e59f.jpeg

69B1BA66-9B68-4DD8-AC76-6288847468DB.thumb.jpeg.ca4fcb58b851521798ff88bf20a0e900.jpeg

4344BA87-B35E-4EF8-9D50-1A472D735DF6.thumb.jpeg.6fcfd4cade1a3ac32fd8c6610367389e.jpeg

557F1325-6EE9-4500-B605-2F77A78A3511.thumb.jpeg.b7e3489b4b8b12f74465394826e6e4ab.jpeg

AA85229E-C234-4715-A686-040D2EC44454.thumb.jpeg.f9491de959e332afeaca5f5ba6d8fa7e.jpeg

5D14B6D8-08F2-4F60-B93D-5D0B6D4E3D0B.thumb.jpeg.7c86ba02e0e9917616397d0ae1e785d1.jpeg

E3F03C8C-47C2-464C-9ECE-6192967DC634.thumb.jpeg.6ea180428f72fc80be3801d195bc3e7c.jpeg01A839F4-7109-4A3F-B595-47B4AD8862DB.thumb.jpeg.2ee782f3e2b44d9b8ecde06509dc96c3.jpeg

1141B01A-123B-4669-84F0-69280B1087EC.thumb.jpeg.8e0afe16bdfd139b0c21c936c0a2bbe7.jpeg

5B5F5E4B-9166-4893-B898-3439C827B802.thumb.jpeg.d23e7784446169aa923daedc832d664f.jpeg

63203FCC-613B-4571-8F53-FA7BD50862B7.thumb.jpeg.903fd54f007b42fdb5f1289de6f919ef.jpeg

• Like 10

On 12/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, Tri2Cook said:

I immediately went looking for the stuff after seeing Kerry's post here and discovered it comes in a wide range of lines/mm. I had no idea whether more or less lines was better for chocolate work so I started doing way more than probably necessary reading of scientific information on diffraction grating. It appears that, in general, more lines is better up to a point. I'm assuming there would be no reason to make it beyond the point where it is no longer beneficial so more is probably better. But those scientific articles aren't dealing with chocolate so who knows if that changes things? :D So yes, I'm probably way overthinking this and I still haven't actually made the purchase. 

I think it's the opposite way! I might be wrong, but I had optics the previous semester. 

For larger distance between grating elements we have smaller difraction angle. Thus we can observe more diffracted waves. Thus we see "more" light and colours.

Now when dealing with chocolate it makes sense to use a grating with smaller period too. Because it's easier for low fluidity liquid (chocolate) to fill in smaller amount of super tiny holes.

My experiment proves that too (below)

On 12/5/2019 at 5:51 PM, Louise nadine brill said:

Ok after Christmas rush I will buy some and post my results here (or possibly in the “backroom finish” thread - depending on the outcome 😬😬). Would love to see others work/ experiences too. Also on ArtisAnne’s IG she had some moulds that had actual diffraction grating etched in to them - which was a really cool idea. I can't recall the manufacturing company name - i think out of Germany. Will try to find it and post here.

Let me know how are your experiments going! 

I tried 500 lines / mm and 1000 lines / mm and I the 500l/mm was better. My enthusiasm went off though... :( after one week the intensity was at ~10 %. Like if I didnt know I have to search for a rainbow on my chocolate I wouldnt even notice! After that 'failure' I didnt try again and claimed its not a stable technique.

My explanation would be that chocolate changes its structure on microscale, which we do not observe, however its certainly enough to destroy the microscopic structure of moulded grating. Maybe if I had a super stable enviroment, It would've last. Who knows.

Let me know your results please

On 12/16/2019 at 3:28 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Fillings are black pepper and fig, browned butter bourbon, earl grey and orange caramel 

Your own ideas? I'd love to try the tea orange caramel! Sounds amazing. 

1 hour ago, Vojta said:

I think it's the opposite way! I might be wrong, but I had optics the previous semester. 

For larger distance between grating elements we have smaller difraction angle. Thus we can observe more diffracted waves. Thus we see "more" light and colours.

Now when dealing with chocolate it makes sense to use a grating with smaller period too. Because it's easier for low fluidity liquid (chocolate) to fill in smaller amount of super tiny holes.

I tried 500 lines / mm and 1000 lines / mm and I the 500l/mm was better. My enthusiasm went off though... :( after one week the intensity was at ~10 %. Like if I didnt know I have to search for a rainbow on my chocolate I wouldnt even notice! After that 'failure' I didnt try again and claimed its not a stable technique.

My explanation would be that chocolate changes its structure on microscale, which we do not observe, however its certainly enough to destroy the microscopic structure of moulded grating. Maybe if I had a super stable enviroment, It would've last. Who knows.

Sorry - 3 fillings - orange caramel, earl grey tea and browned butter bourbon - but nothing to stop you from adding tea to an orange caramel!

9 hours ago, Vojta said:

after one week the intensity was at ~10 %. Like if I didnt know I have to search for a rainbow on my chocolate I wouldnt even notice! After that 'failure' I didnt try again and claimed its not a stable technique.

Interesting. I wonder if leaving the chocolate on the grating for a longer amount of time would help with that? Until the chocolate has had time to fully crystallize. I know that wouldn't really be practical for production purposes, I'm just curious if it would help reduce any microscopic shifting of the chocolate. 

I just thought I’d share my very first Christmas box because I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.  The color scheme reminded me of The Nutcracker <3.

Flavors are: hot chocolate, cranberry orange, milk and cookies, turtle, hazelnut crunch, speculoos butter praliné, salted caramel ganache, peppermint crunch, and spiced pumpkin caramel. 

64480E95-60EF-4047-8113-096085195C35.thumb.jpeg.17c8f2f50d1105f7b15742ddd3bcbd2b.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I just thought I’d share my very first Christmas box because I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.  The color scheme reminded me of The Nutcracker <3.

Flavors are: hot chocolate, cranberry orange, milk and cookies, turtle, hazelnut crunch, speculoos butter praliné, salted caramel ganache, peppermint crunch, and spiced pumpkin caramel. 

Beautiful--and congratulations on your new business, with the wonderful name "Bliss."

19 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Interesting. I wonder if leaving the chocolate on the grating for a longer amount of time would help with that? Until the chocolate has had time to fully crystallize. I know that wouldn't really be practical for production purposes, I'm just curious if it would help reduce any microscopic shifting of the chocolate. 

We know that chocolate contracts while its setting up, thus I can imagine it would not help. But I am inclined to believe it would help. Will try again :)

15 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I just thought I’d share my very first Christmas box.

Gorgeous. I wish my first set would look so good too.

3 hours ago, Vojta said:

We know that chocolate contracts while its setting up, thus I can imagine it would not help.

There is that... I didn't really think that one through very well.

58 minutes ago, Vojta said:

New beautiful chocolate business? Maybe an interesting story to share? I would love to read it. Congrats

Well, the story has only just begun and I’m not 100% sure where it’s going yet, but yes :). After a few years of learning and practicing and randomly showing up pretty much anywhere and everywhere with bonbons to give away, my mom and I recently formed an LLC and launched our chocolate company Bliss Chocolatier. It’s a cottage food operation out of my home at the moment, but we’ve been working with a real estate agent to find a commercial space. I have to get out of my house for a million reasons. I’m sure I’ll update as we move forward. For now, I have an Instagram @bliss.chocolatier and a placeholder website with absolutely nothing on it yet ;). 

I’m trying to just take the next step and not worry too much about seeing the end from the beginning right now. Which is suuuuuper hard for my risk-averse personality. 13D58FF4-5EB4-4F10-9C0A-AE5B6BE6919D.thumb.jpeg.288f255153d9f24d45e41d4eff02fe26.jpeg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Well, the story has only just begun and I’m not 100% sure where it’s going yet, but yes :). After a few years of learning and practicing and randomly showing up pretty much anywhere and everywhere with bonbons to give away, my mom and I recently formed an LLC and launched our chocolate company Bliss Chocolatier. It’s a cottage food operation out of my home at the moment, but we’ve been working with a real estate agent to find a commercial space. I have to get out of my house for a million reasons. I’m sure I’ll update as we move forward. For now, I have an Instagram @bliss.chocolatier and a placeholder website with absolutely nothing on it yet ;). 

I’m trying to just take the next step and not worry too much about seeing the end from the beginning right now. Which is suuuuuper hard for my risk-averse personality. 13D58FF4-5EB4-4F10-9C0A-AE5B6BE6919D.thumb.jpeg.288f255153d9f24d45e41d4eff02fe26.jpeg

Totally scary shit this starting a business isn’t it? You do such  beautiful work that I’m sure that will help mitigate the risk!

• Like 8

On 12/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, Vojta said:

I only got as far as purchasing the diffraction sheet - and have just been scrambling to fill Christmas orders since. I promise to post results/ thoughts as soon as I can though!

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Totally scary shit this starting a business isn’t it? You do such  beautiful work that I’m sure that will help mitigate the risk!

Super scary, but thank you for the vote of confidence! 

13 hours ago, teonzo said:

Beautiful beautiful logo!

Teo

Thank you! I am lucky to know a great graphic designer and I was so pleased with what she designed for me!

• Like 2