• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

10 minutes ago, Desiderio said:

This is very interesting, I might have to try it out too. Would it work if the sheet is put on an enrobed chocolate as well?

I would think it would. My one attempt at doing that was thwarted by the fact that I put it on upside down

• Haha 2

This is the first time I've done stripes- and they ended up on a car.  Its meant to be a replica of a classic car that my friend's husband owns.  She asked me to do a dozen of these for his 80th birthday...

Edited to add that the colors are from Roxy & Rich -  Yellow Chrysoberyl and PIrate Black.

IMG_20191008_105324_344.jpg

Edited by ChocoMom
added color info (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 10:27 PM, sbain said:

Late to the party on the dendrite technique, but I followed y’all’s advice and got some of that putty and tried my first batch. I’m practicing for my first time trying to sell (at a local holiday craft fair). These are filled with a dark chocolate peppermint ganache. I think I like the blue ones better (looks more like frost). Half of them looked terrible but these are my four best

8550EF5B-924D-4CD8-A4CA-5DE8F63D5EE4.jpeg

OK so I am even later to this party - can someone share what material to use to make a blank of the mold ?  I tried silicone and that was a disaster.  TIA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

OK so I am even later to this party - can someone share what material to use to make a blank of the mold ?  I tried silicone and that was a disaster.  TIA

White chocolate

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi Kerry thanks for responding - Why white chocolate vs a food grade putty?  just wondering?  Is a golf tee upside down a good idea for a way to hold it and be able to use as a stamp?

You need the firmness - I tried silicone - it just suctions itself into the cavity and the golf tee pulls out! Yes upside down golf tee.

image.thumb.jpg.be3a8c3a4cd33dfad910bd1f6e76eb57.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You need the firmness - I tried silicone - it just suctions itself into the cavity and the golf tee pulls out! Yes upside down golf tee.

Thanks again for the info - I knew there was a reason behind your comment - much cheaper than buying the putty - It will be my first time trying.

1 hour ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Thanks again for the info - I knew there was a reason behind your comment - much cheaper than buying the putty - It will be my first time trying.

Use Tacky cocoa butter if you can - too warm just fills back in

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2019 at 9:30 PM, ChocoMom said:

This is the first time I've done stripes- and they ended up on a car.  Its meant to be a replica of a classic car that my friend's husband owns.  She asked me to do a dozen of these for his 80th birthday...

Edited to add that the colors are from Roxy & Rich -  Yellow Chrysoberyl and PIrate Black.

IMG_20191008_105324_344.jpg

Love that yellow! Your design is terrific, and your lines are flawless. Bravo!

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, Kerry Beal said:

image.thumb.jpg.be3a8c3a4cd33dfad910bd1f6e76eb57.jpg

I finally got dendrites to look ok after following your advice to use white chocolate. I tried sculpting putty, silly putty, and candy melts - all were sub-par. Although i did get some very interesting patterns using plastic wrap l er the sculpting putty. Still having trouble with 100% consistency- always a few duds per tray - but getting better thanks again to generous egullet members. ❤️

649210E1-309C-41E3-A1C3-F7BF89C0E3DE.jpeg

6C30731B-7F31-4D16-A6C6-93C2DD547888.jpeg

• Like 8

On 10/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, ptw1953 said:

Magnetic mold about to be hunted down, and a sheet of diffraction grating about to be ordered from Amazon. Thank you Kerry...

I first saw this diffraction grating effect on Instagram ArtisAnne page - she posted several videos on it as she explored the technique and had the most incredible results. Take a look on her page for inspiration! I have had the grating in my amazon cart since then. 😁

AC68EEAC-12D1-4170-B303-2416679BCB24.png

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Louise nadine brill said:

I first saw this diffraction grating effect on Instagram ArtisAnne page

I immediately went looking for the stuff after seeing Kerry's post here and discovered it comes in a wide range of lines/mm. I had no idea whether more or less lines was better for chocolate work so I started doing way more than probably necessary reading of scientific information on diffraction grating. It appears that, in general, more lines is better up to a point. I'm assuming there would be no reason to make it beyond the point where it is no longer beneficial so more is probably better. But those scientific articles aren't dealing with chocolate so who knows if that changes things? :D So yes, I'm probably way overthinking this and I still haven't actually made the purchase. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.