• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

But I did try my hand at the technique, Jim posted (Instagram I believe). It was a humbling experience to say the least. What I was observing, is exactly what you guys were talking about, temperature of the CB. At one point I deposited more than one cavity at a time, because when the cocoa butter is more viscous, it works better (instead or running back down the sides, after you spray in the cavity with the airbrush), but at the point the Cb was already getting little firmer, so the experiment only worked for the first few cavities. The rest I had hard bits of Cb in the cavity. My room temperature was probably around 72 and higher than usual humidity (kitchen doesn't have a vent!!!!). Anyway, it was fun to try something different for a change, but like I have mentioned before, i need an upgrade 😄

Pumpkin caramel 1029.jpg

Pumpkin caramel 3.jpg

Pumpkin caramel 2.jpg

Pumpkin caramel 1.jpg

Vanessa

25 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

@Desiderio, those look good, much better than most of what I came up with.

Andrey would never approve of your kitchen temp. He specifies what I considered very low temps, uncomfortably so at times. Some think that is the secret to his amazing shine.

We have been in the 90s and nearly touching 100 during the past few days and it looks like that is the norm for the next couple of weeks.  But coupled with that is about zero cloud cover nor humidity.  That means our lows at night will be in the mid 60's.  Couple that with the production facility I utilize is located on a nearby mountain that is typically 5-7°F cooler and I am planning some chocolate production for a change.  Midnight Chocolate Run?

On 9/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Nickos said:

New bonbon in the making;

banana caramel hmmm delicious🍌😍

Can you provide the source of your recipe? Or if it's your own, the method you used? I ask because I have had much trouble with banana caramel: Not only does the banana cause the caramel to splatter dangerously, but the banana tends to burn before the correct temperature can be reached. And, to add insult to injury, sometimes the fat separates out, and I have to put the whole mess in the food processor. The usual remedy for a separated filling is to add some liquid, so I add dark rum, which goes beautifully with the banana but, of course, thins out the mixture even more.

10 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Can you provide the source of your recipe? Or if it's your own, the method you used? I ask because I have had much trouble with banana caramel: Not only does the banana cause the caramel to splatter dangerously, but the banana tends to burn before the correct temperature can be reached. And, to add insult to injury, sometimes the fat separates out, and I have to put the whole mess in the food processor. The usual remedy for a separated filling is to add some liquid, so I add dark rum, which goes beautifully with the banana but, of course, thins out the mixture even more.

Its our Own recipe, iT has 2 layers first layer with caramel and second layer is banana ganache. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

That sounds like a very good idea, solves the whole issue of getting "banana burns" from the fruit cooking in the caramel.

Hate it when you burn your banana with hot caramel!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Ok i’m not gonna be able to sleep until I know what that is and how to do it.

Plunk a CD on your chocolate (or buy the film from amazon)

• Thanks 1