• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

I'm new to the forum, my name is Anne Boulley and my company is Artisanne.  I was playing around with this technique and wondering why I wasn't quite getting it exact. Looked at Kerry's post and voila! First picture is my attempt using cocoa butter instead of a cocoa butter and chocolate combo and I created suction with a simple putty insert I created to fit the mold. Then, I just now tried using 50-50 cocoa butter to chocolate and chilled the molds for a few minutes and it's working! Thank you! Don't mind the messy mold, I was in a hurry to try it. 

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, keychris said:

I feel like this technique is another one that's just too time consuming to do on anything other than a special occasion - whilst it looks amazing, it just doesn't look practical!

If it's done the way I've decided it's done in my head, it's much more practical than a whole lot of other decorating techniques. I think once you get everything figured out for the mold you're using, it would actually go pretty quickly from then on.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

If it's done the way I've decided it's done in my head, it's much more practical than a whole lot of other decorating techniques. I think once you get everything figured out for the mold you're using, it would actually go pretty quickly from then on.

I need to see a video of it :D (hint, hint @Kerry Beal)

Here's how those turned out. I think I'd use better colors next time, but it was a test, they are just solid chocolate. I have no idea if I did this exactly as others have done it because I've been piecing together ideas from several places so I'll wait and see what Kerry says. 

IMG_7718.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Artisanne said:

Here's how those turned out. I think I'd use better colors next time, but it was a test, they are just solid chocolate. I have no idea if I did this exactly as others have done it because I've been piecing together ideas from several places so I'll wait and see what Kerry says. 

IMG_7718.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

Gorgeous - and so shiny!

• Like 1

Here's how I did it. 

I already had this molding putty so I made a mold of the bonbon and stuck a mini popsicle stick in it to give me something to grip on to. I also made some up using tempered chocolate.

I tempered some dark chocolate and cocoa butter together (about 50-50) and when about 32C I put some into the mold, then plunged the "dummy" into the hole. I pressed down hard, then pulled straight up and it left the impression. You have another chance to do it if you don't like it, but that's about it. Then when set, spray it with a lighter color and then proceed as normal.

I'd like to test varying amounts of cocoa butter to chocolate and also white chocolate later, but I'm now busy till next week. I can't wait to see what others come up with. 

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

IMG_7815.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

@gfron1, I would say particularly the blue ones (first photo) look very "Dubovikian"--you appear to have the "eye" technique down pat. Beautiful. Now do you know what you did differently to achieve it? 

I wish. I am still playing with the various aspects, but yes that was supposed to be the eye. I had to really do the close up to make it show - from a distance the effect is lost. And Yes, @Rajala those are without filter - I'm blessed with a north facing window at my shop.

@Artisanne, thanks for the helpful photos of the dendrite technique. If one wanted another color, do you think the colored cocoa butter would need to be mixed with white chocolate, or would cocoa butter alone do the trick? I suppose it depends on how much "body" the medium needs to spread properly. How do you keep it from flowing back into the cavity once you lift the putty? From one of the photos it looked as if you put very little of the chocolate-cocoa butter mixture in the cavity.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Here are my purple dendrite studies.

1479085003_IMG_21063.thumb.jpg.71c689f7242f70640f796439e9bd04af.jpg

1784650266_IMG_21093.thumb.jpg.4f87b5da2b0c668503dab5a836389edf.jpg

811172487_IMG_21103.thumb.jpg.d26aba84d5c873e188195ac97fad31d9.jpg2060146432_IMG_21083.thumb.jpg.7f0ba0a528a46e6087c8b2e73028ab70.jpg1746878155_IMG_21073.thumb.jpg.ce9e4ab333946277c1ef63d210a53506.jpg1116840394_IMG_21133.thumb.jpg.0c48dbb09eaf8c8274f8e8ad8bf3d87c.jpg

Some were dilute chocolate - other's black cocoa butter. Cocoa butter alone is fine - just make sure it's over tempered.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8