• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

@ChocoMom....thanks for the compliments, appreciate it :-)

Sorry I forgot to put the fillings :

#1 (bronze with orange stripe)...yuzu & ginger jelly / earl grey ganache

#2 (gold/chrome with black on mold)....salted caramel / chai ganache

#3 (red with white stripe)....pineapple & ginger confit / passionfruit Jivara ganache

#4 ( green, blue & orange)....spiced chocolate caramel / espresso peanut butter crunch

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yeah - why can't I get that shiny on the pics I'm taking for the Dubrovik course?

Guess I'll have to look back through those pictures again... I thought you were. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

Host's note: this post and the immediate responses were moved from the Andrey Dubovic online classes topic.

Good day, long time reader first time posting here. I'm curious to know if my technique is similar to Andery's. I've never taken any course from him but I was experimenting the last few days trying to get a similar result! Would you say it's similar or different? 

Thanks kindly!

IMG_20180723_155215_992.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, snickrs said:

Good day, long time reader first time posting here. I'm curious to know if my technique is similar to Andery's. I've never taken any course from him but I was experimenting the last few days trying to get a similar result! Would you say it's similar or different? 

Thanks kindly!

To answer that question, we'll need to see a whole tray of chocolates all showing the same technique and finish level & a shot with one cut open. It does look interesting. Perhaps it truly belongs in the chocolates with a showroom finish thread.   😉

Edited by curls (log)

5 hours ago, snickrs said:

Thanks kindly!

It looks a bit different - looks more like the latest Vincent Vallee instagram post I saw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

To answer that question, we'll need to see a whole tray of chocolates all showing the same technique and finish level & a shot with one cut open. It does look interesting. Perhaps it truly belongs in the chocolates with a showroom finish thread.   😉

Actually I have a batch that i was doing testing on forgive the photo image quality as thisbis just with my phone, bad lighting etc. These are not filled it was just experimenting! Hope it passes!

20180723_230058.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

It looks a bit different - looks more like the latest Vincent Vallee instagram post I saw.

Yes, i know his style too! I actually tagged him on my Instagram post and a few hours later he posted some picks of his technique says to apply for a internship if people want to learn! My technique is different!!

6 hours ago, snickrs said:

Yes, i know his style too! I actually tagged him on my Instagram post and a few hours later he posted some picks of his technique says to apply for a internship if people want to learn! My technique is different!!

Beautiful work. Do you share your technique, or is it a trade secret?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, snickrs said:

Here's another test shot from today! Hope you all like it and any advice would be great!! Thank you kindly. 

20180723_223929.jpg

Looks pretty damn good to me! I'm curious to know what you are lighting with that gives that very distinctive pattern on the bonbon?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Looks pretty damn good to me! I'm curious to know what you are lighting with that gives that very distinctive pattern on the bonbon?

Just got it this week it's a little light box with leds strips. For shine, leds combined with natural light are best and of course correct cocoa butter tempering is essential too.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Beautiful work. Do you share your technique, or is it a trade secret?

It's a work in progress and I do teacher classes but for the minimalist home hobby cooks/chefs maybe in the never future. All my work is handmade at home with the most basic equipment, i think most would be surprised, thank you so much!

Good day,

I had a chance to do another batch of chocolate today with that technique that I've been working on. Here's a shot, these are solar flares, no filters, no effects only light boxes and my phone. ☺

20180729_202628.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, snickrs said:

Good day,

I had a chance to do another batch of chocolate today with that technique that I've been working on. Here's a shot, these are solar flares, no filters, no effects only light boxes and my phone. ☺

20180729_202628.jpg

The light and the tripod almost makes it look like a parachute on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1