• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

I think you are being a little hard on yourself about the colors.  I do not know what you were going for, but I really like what you have in the picture.  After all, it is always nice to take someone's creation and make it your own.

I especially like the black specks embedded in the red since they look like the seeds in strawberries.  Nice job.

• Like 2

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

31 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have discovered that, when sprayed on, red cocoa butter does not show up as expected on dark chocolate. If you finger-paint red (and thus get a thicker coat), it is closer to looking red. The only solution I have found for the spray-painting issue is to add a layer of white on top of the red; then the red looks right. Learning about how the various colors behave has been a challenge. White and yellow (contrary to expectations) are closer to opaque, whereas dark green and red get muddied. Orange works well, as do light green and light blue.

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

38 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

You can also mix in a little milk or white chocolate to make the CB thicker and more opaque, like the red on these cacao pods - finger painted in but shows up decently.  I've definitely experienced thinner layers of red all but disappearing on dark chocolate.  The white (Chef Rubber white diamond) was also mixed with more white chocolate (callebaut zephyr).  These are 60% dark shells.

IMG_6296.thumb.JPG.e2620f2ffebfc83ceb60fe269a598481.JPG

• Like 2

@Bentley I think the red on those looks awesome. I realize that doesn't count for much if it's not what you want but it really does look nice.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Worth seeing if you can find some pictures that @Chocolot did a while back - she sprayed the same colours onto molds then molded with white and with dark and you wouldn't have known they were the same colors.

I found this photo from 2011. I sprayed all the molds the same. Yellow and pink. Some I shelled in white chocolate, some in dark. It was interesting to notice the color change with the shelling chocolate.IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.8b6fbbc7c5a94885f64d2db2c5230893.JPG

• Like 4

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Edited by Bentley (log)

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

Really interesting picture, @Chocolot!  Under the red, I did finger swirls of white to try the technique referred to in my other thread about the A519 bonbon (the "How do they do that" thread).  I didn't get the results I was after.  Perhaps my layer of red was too thick.  As it is, the red doesn't look bad -just not what I had in mind - and if the green showed up, it would be satisfactory.  Next time I try these, I think I will backspray the entire tray with white just to make the colors pop.  

Is the red you are using transparent? 

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Is the red you are using transparent? 

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

I guess not.  It's Chef Rubber's cardinal red with a little ruby red mixed in.

Which CCBs are transparent?

I'm having trouble figuring out if they still sell them. I used to have a whole lot of bottles of their older colors - but they were lost in the overheated warmer incident at the Niagara workshop in 2013. For some reason I think they might have been called classic.

I was at there for the incident....it was horrible, but, the professionals in us pulled together and moved on......

for those reading this, do not try these experiments at home, leave it to the Pros

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not to be an EZ Temper commercial, but it has upped my game a bit. This is my Valentine's collection. Since EZ I haven't had a single chocolate stick to the mold and every one is super shiny. More importantly for me since I do smaller production (300-1000 per batch/month) is that I haven't been turning on my large tempering machine. I use my melter and EZ, and the melter has been good at holding my chocolate overnight for use in multiple batches. Generally I deplete the bulk of my tempered chocolate and then refill and start again in the same pan, never letting it fully cool. On my refills I just do the 1% silk add and continue as normal.

Anyway...from top to bottom (left row): 12-year balsamic, cinnamon, mango habanero, fennel pollen/honey, lemon

chocoVD18.thumb.jpg.ffc02d6e2b289d3f48dba11410103548.jpg

• Like 11

Gorgeous looking chocolates. There is no end to your talent. :)

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Sure there is. You should see how lousy I am at ironing.

Pressed seams are highly overrated!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Jim D. said:

After the countless threads on making stripes on shells--with no clear winner--is this the holy grail of striping?

Time will tell!

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Time will tell!

The biggest problem I have had is with cocoa butter seeping under the tape. The weaker the adhesive, the more the seepage. Did this tape prevent that? There appear to be a few small places along the edge of the stripe where the underlying color comes through, but that may be just the photo.

I think this tape was a little wider than fit smoothly on the bottom and that's why I had creep under the edges. More care taken when putting it down might prevent this