• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

21 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Beautiful decoration. Do you mind telling how you achieved the effect?

Thank you, Jim!  I used 3 colored cocoa butters from Chef Rubber's jewel collection -- gold, yellow topaz, and purple amethyst.  Gold spatter first, using a toothbrush and a gloved finger.  Purple next, swirling with a gloved finger.  Yellow last, a few drops in each cavity, then blown with a compressed air canister. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2016 at 4:20 AM, Dallas said:

Its great to see everybody's works. Keep them coming!

This is my most recent bonbon creation...cant seem to keep these on the shelves though. I'm going to have to make a LOT more! :)

20160519-IMG_0767-Edit.jpg

Fantastic looking chocolates!!!

can I ask where you got this mould from? I've been looking for one everywhere...reminds me of the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevnick80 said:

Fantastic looking chocolates!!!

can I ask where you got this mould from? I've been looking for one everywhere...reminds me of the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator...

this one looks pretty close:  http://www.pastrychefsboutique.com/matfer-bourgeat/648116-matfer-bourgeat-cw1673-polycarbonate-chocolate-mold-quenelles-2-x-8-molds-10gr-1-3-4x-1x-1-2-modern-shaped-molds.html

5 hours ago, keychris said:

that's a beautiful mold and it's a pain in the butt as it only holds 16 (!!!!) chocolates. You have to have so many molds to do a run of them!

Depending on one's level of output of course. Not everybody is doing it as a business or doing business at a serious level. I only have one or two of all of the molds I currently own other than the dome molds. I have three of those. I will be increasing that number for the domes but I'm not so sure about any of the others. I've decided to go the one shape, various decoration route at least at this point. One thing I've learned is that time spent looking at molds can get expensive very quickly.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, LS-Chocolade said:

Made glow in the dark high heel and eggs.

Did you actually find something both edible and phosphorescent? To me, there is a difference between glow-in-the-dark and the interesting effect of  looking at things under black light. If you can take it into a dark room or hide under the covers and it emits a glow of its own, then it is glow in the dark. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence

4 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Did you actually find something both edible and phosphorescent? To me, there is a difference between glow-in-the-dark and the interesting effect of  looking at things under black light. If you can take it into a dark room or hide under the covers and it emits a glow of its own, then it is glow in the dark. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence

It does not glow by itself, it only responds to UV light, i have translated it wrong. Sorry for that.

18 minutes ago, LS-Chocolade said:

It does not glow by itself, it only responds to UV light, i have translated it wrong. Sorry for that.

No problem, if you do find cocoa butter color that can glow by itself, all the chocolatiers here would want to try it!  Nice work anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been lurking for a long time here and have learned a lot from following the posts here.  A few Sundays ago we had a chocolate charity event and made 4 different varieties of chocolate bonbons with the theme being a New Orleans Sunday brunch.  Even though the event did not really have a theme, I like to have one anyways haha.  So I did a mimosa starter, lemon-goat cheese "salad", banana fosters dessert, and Bailey's cafe au lait digestif.  Special thanks to all of you that contribute to this forum.  Even more special thanks to AnythingButPlainChocolate for their lemon-goat cheese bonbon and lebowits for their banana foster ganache.  The only problems I ran into was I do not have a melter and the chocolate would set up so fast, it was difficult to back them and scrape them quick enough.  A lot of the backs were definitely not to my liking.  And, I could not get the orange hue I really wanted with the mimosas.  I wanted that OJ kind of look to them, but the yellow and red cocoa butters I was using were not cooperating haha.

I was really surprised that the lemon-goat cheese was as popular as it was.  It was one of the first to run out behind the mimosas.  I figured it would be too polarizing.  Much to my (personal) dismay, the least favorite was the Bailey's.  I adore anything and everything coffee related and I really like the combination of coffee, cream, and chocolate.  Unfortunately, not many people like coffee like I do I guess.  I saw a thread the other day where posters were vehement in their dislike of chocolate and coffee.  I always thought they were great together.  I like playing with coffee caramels too.  Oh well, I stand by my love of coffee and chocolate, but it might make me think twice about selling it my shop one day.

Mimosas.jpg

Lemon Goat Cheese Bonbon.jpg

Banana Foster.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

I have been lurking for a long time here and have learned a lot from following the posts here.  A few Sundays ago we had a chocolate charity event and made 4 different varieties of chocolate bonbons with the theme being a New Orleans Sunday brunch.  Even though the event did not really have a theme, I like to have one anyways haha.  So I did a mimosa starter, lemon-goat cheese "salad", banana fosters dessert, and Bailey's cafe au lait digestif.  Special thanks to all of you that contribute to this forum.  Even more special thanks to AnythingButPlainChocolate for their lemon-goat cheese bonbon and lebowits for their banana foster ganache.  The only problems I ran into was I do not have a melter and the chocolate would set up so fast, it was difficult to back them and scrape them quick enough.  A lot of the backs were definitely not to my liking.  And, I could not get the orange hue I really wanted with the mimosas.  I wanted that OJ kind of look to them, but the yellow and red cocoa butters I was using were not cooperating haha.

I was really surprised that the lemon-goat cheese was as popular as it was.  It was one of the first to run out behind the mimosas.  I figured it would be too polarizing.  Much to my (personal) dismay, the least favorite was the Bailey's.  I adore anything and everything coffee related and I really like the combination of coffee, cream, and chocolate.  Unfortunately, not many people like coffee like I do I guess.  I saw a thread the other day where posters were vehement in their dislike of chocolate and coffee.  I always thought they were great together.  I like playing with coffee caramels too.  Oh well, I stand by my love of coffee and chocolate, but it might make me think twice about selling it my shop one day.

I love coffee and chocolate too. One of my best sellers is a dark chocolate with espresso and strawberry which sounds like a strange combination but it works

Got great shine on these but the colors came out much darker then expected.  The flavor is strawberry cream in white chocolate with a dark chocolate shell.  One end is green like the leaves on the top of a strawberry, but it came out very dark - and the red is a couple shades darker than I wanted.  I guess I can make the colors lighter next time by adding a squeeze of white to the red and green cocoa butter.  Still pretty.  Still delicious.  But not what I envisioned.  I was trying to copy a design recently posted by Andrey Dubovik on his Instagram feed (andrey_dubovik). Back to the drawing board.  

Strawberry.jpg

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 7