• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

I do both - spray white and not. A good example - yesterday I did an emerald green spray on one chocolate and backed with white - the green popped. On another I sprayed forest green and went straight to the chocolate coat. That color was a dark, deeper hue...the effect I wanted because I had white splatter. I also will do the mid-range of a light spray of white. Each has a purpose. If I want bright, there will be a full white coating. Sometimes I also just spray the top center of my domes with white because I want the nipple to be highlighted and the sides to be more muted.

Chris,

Do you always spray white behind colored cocoa butter when you are using dark chocolate?  I tried it once, and it seems necessary to spray a full covering of the color or the white makes it look washed out.  Of course some colors cover the dark chocolate by themselves, and it's not always possible to tell how it's going to turn out until one tries it.  Sometimes, of course, one wants the effect of a color blending into the couverture's natural color.  I notice that Chocotransfersheets labels some of their colors "opaque," which is helpful.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keychris, how are you getting the look of your zebra looking hearts? If I were to guess, I would think you are using chocolate, drop some drops in the molds, then tipping your mold to one side, then the other? Is this correct? I love the look you have achieved! Beautiful work!

Keychris, how are you getting the look of your zebra looking hearts? If I were to guess, I would think you are using chocolate, drop some drops in the molds, then tipping your mold to one side, then the other? Is this correct? I love the look you have achieved! Beautiful work!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Here's the answer to your question Gwbyls, I knew it had been answered earlier in the thread, so I did some searching...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are my show chocolate for a special dinner I'm doing at Los Poblanos in ABQ this Friday before the Southwest Chocolate & Coffee Fest. The base is Melissa Coppel's recipe from her winning bonbon last year that she taught us at the eG Chocolate and Confections workshop in Vegas. Yogurt ganache, a thin crisp of granola set in white chocolate and passionfruit pate de fruit in the tip. My morning prep guy is an artist who does a lot of airbrushing so he helped with the spray. 

11082514_10153117449714845_3618951648157

Gut shot from a damaged one

11063677_10153117489194845_1707139378091

• Like 9

Gfron----those are GORGEOUS!!!!   I saw your post about the PdF in another thread, and wondered if you might post a pic here!  So happy that you did! :smile:  They are stunning!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Bunnies!

testing the colors - I mixed Chef Rubber cocoa butter colors into some white chocolate for opacity then drizzled and finger painted the molds before filling with 60%

IMG_2049.JPG

first batch finished

IMG_2055.JPG

packed and ready to sell!

IMG_2063.jpg

I need to get faster and line the mold halves up a little better, but otherwise I'm happy with these. 

• Like 9