• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

Lovely chocolates Kriz.  Especially like the mold in your avatar.

Do you have Belgian Chocolates by Geerts?  I see a few 'classic' belgian fillings in your collection.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Thanks Jim.

Actually, I did use Rice Krispies :-) Perhaps I shouldn't have called it 'puffed rice' but instead called it 'crisped rice', I wasn't 100% sure how to call it in English.

Either way, you cannot use crisped rice or feuilletine in water based fillings (e.g. ganaches) because the water will make it soggy. However, they retain their crispiness when you use an oil-based filling (e.g. gianduja, hazelnut praliné, ...). The one I made was oil-based so the crisped rice worked fine. 

If you do want to use a ganache and also get crispyness, you could try a double layer approach: first a bottom layer with e.g. hazelnut praliné & milk chocolade & something cripsy, followed by a 2nd layer with a ganache. The moisture from the ganache won't migrate into the oil-based filling.

The same applies for popping candy; works great in oil-based fillings, doesn't work at all in water based fillings.

Thanks for the further information about how to maintain crispness; I hadn't thought of a praliné or gianduja layer but will definitely give that a try.

Lovely chocolates Kriz.  Especially like the mold in your avatar.

Do you have Belgian Chocolates by Geerts?  I see a few 'classic' belgian fillings in your collection.

Thanks Kerry. 

Yes, I too find it a very nice mould, one of my favourites (it's CW1625 from chocolate world). I have about every book I can find on this topic (Wybauw, Greweling, Geerts, Notter, Curley, Savour, ...). Trying to also use Wybauw's books as an inspiration for my photography.

Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Playing around last night. Trying to help Kerry to get ready for her show on Sunday. She wanted some sprayed (took me forever...) molds. We did something simple casted in alunga.

I have to say that there are many things I have discovered in one evening especially to bring my own compressor to Kerry's lab :)image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1

So I made 2 more chocolates:

- Advocaat liqueur based filling, moulded dark chocolate

- hazelnut praliné & dark chocolate, dulche de leche, roasted hazelnut, moulded dark chocolate

More photos at https://www.facebook.com/KrisSchoofsChocolates

Advocaat.jpg

Praliné Noir.jpg

• Like 3

There's some really beautiful work on this thread these days! I guess I should add my .02! 

The fedora was a commission. Three kinds of chocolate with a matcha-infused band.

Intermezzo is about beauty in simplicity. A spiced sugar pumpkin ganache with toasted pepita.

Take care, all. And keep making fantastic chocolate!

~Rich

Fedora2.jpg

Intermezzo-sm.png

• Like 6

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

• 3 weeks later...

So I recently made these two:

- white chocolate ganache & coffee, mocha flavoured dark chocolate coffee bean, moulded dark chocolate
- shortbread, dulche de leche, moulded milk chocolate

Twix Bars.jpg

Espresso.jpg

• Like 9

Kris - those look beautiful! I'm curious, how are you preventing moisture migration between your shortbread and your dulce-de-Leche? Do you find your shortbread to crumble?

Thanks, Robert. To avoid moisture migration I coat the shortbread with a thin layer of cacao butter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's some really beautiful work on this thread these days! I guess I should add my .02! 

The fedora was a commission. Three kinds of chocolate with a matcha-infused band.

Intermezzo is about beauty in simplicity. A spiced sugar pumpkin ganache with toasted pepita.

Take care, all. And keep making fantastic chocolate!

~Rich

Andrea,

Purple is Chef Rubber's purple amethyst. Green is Chef Rubber's green crystal. Silver is Chef Rubber's silver. All 3 are from their Jewel collection.

Gold is Mercury's Gold from the Cosmic collection from chocotransfersheets.com.

Jess

Thank you, Jess!   I have some of the Chef Rubber colors, but not from the Jewel collection. After seeing your excellent creations, I am compelled to put some of the jewel collection next on my wish-list! :wink:   

I love using the Lustre dust, too. Its so fun and easy to work with.   Thank you again for sharing that info!  Your work is beautiful! - Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

At what point in the process did you apply the luster dust?

I used a soft paintbrush to apply the dust to the clean molds. Then I sprayed in a light layer of a pearl white behind it, then shelled with dark chocolate. I honestly wasn't sure how much of the dust stuck when I sprayed on the white (it's barely visible) but obviously enough did.

Thank you, Jess!   I have some of the Chef Rubber colors, but not from the Jewel collection. After seeing your excellent creations, I am compelled to put some of the jewel collection next on my wish-list! :wink:   

I love using the Lustre dust, too. Its so fun and easy to work with.   Thank you again for sharing that info!  Your work is beautiful! - Andrea

Thanks! And I have been quite pleased with the colors from chocotransfersheets.com. They seem to be just as good as the Chef Rubber ones, but I think they are a little cheaper.

Chris,

Do you always spray white behind colored cocoa butter when you are using dark chocolate?  I tried it once, and it seems necessary to spray a full covering of the color or the white makes it look washed out.  Of course some colors cover the dark chocolate by themselves, and it's not always possible to tell how it's going to turn out until one tries it.  Sometimes, of course, one wants the effect of a color blending into the couverture's natural color.  I notice that Chocotransfersheets labels some of their colors "opaque," which is helpful.

Jim