• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

My zebras are getting better!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

They're beautiful! How long does it take you to paint the flowers and the zebra stripes (and how many cavities)?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 3 weeks later...

Valentines is coming up. Here are my dark shells. white one is coconut - alunga, purple is blueberry - lavender ganache, the red one is strawberry jelly and icewine ganache. Tomorrow I'll put the milk option.

What color did you speckle the purple and red molds with? Their all lovely.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

White diamond from chef rubber. Spayed at 1 foot away. Today I did with a black onyx. It's too bad we don't have chef rubber in Canada as well. :)

I like the look you got with that. And I agree on the Chef Rubber thing. They have a lot of interesting toys but their shipping cost to Canada is way too high by and standard. I get a lot of things shipped from the U.S. and their shipping charges are nowhere close to in line with what they should be*.

*With the disclaimer that I haven't ordered from them in a few years for exactly that reason... but I can't imagine they've gone down.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I met a chef from Aussie and we compared prices. You guys do pay 15% more minimum then us.

So the fillings are,

Pink - berry jelly with yogurt ganache

Black onyx - salted caramel with hazelnut praline

Yellow - passion fruit caramel

White - coconut

Purple - blueberry jam lavender 54% ganache

Red - strawberry - ice wine zephyr ganache

My favorites, the first 3.

Pcb colours I'm not a fan.

image.jpg

• Like 5

I think they all look gorgeous - are the first 3 your favourites for colours or flavours or both?

The flavor.

I used pregel yogurt powder for gelato - the ganache is O-M-G

The caramel and praline reminds me of childhood chocolate bars.

The caramel passion is just acidic, sharp but not bitter.

I have some of the candied fruits we talked about. Have to meet soon.

Prahba: Merci

Edited by Alleguede (log)

I think they all look gorgeous - are the first 3 your favourites for colours or flavours or both?

The flavor.

I used pregel yogurt powder for gelato - the ganache is O-M-G

The caramel and praline reminds me of childhood chocolate bars.

The caramel passion is just acidic, sharp but not bitter.

I have some of the candied fruits we talked about. Have to meet soon.

Prahba: Merci

I'd love to taste the yogurt ganache.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

10173781_481203062007573_821861519082596

Filling is a 66% dark chocolate ganache, with creme de menthe

10298806_481203072007572_401703241267466

10338716_481203038674242_715455191996257

This one is a raspberry ganache with gianduja. I'm pretty happy with how the spraying turned out on these ones :)

• Like 2

It's been a while since I posted, but have been lurking! A few more of our collection:

Lemon-Lime-and-Bitter-300-150x150.jpgVanilla-Cream1-150x150.jpglime-chilli-150x150.jpgBaileys-150x150.jpg

From Left to Right: Lemon Lime & Bitters; Vanilla Bean; Lime Chili; Baileys Cream

About to embark on a quest to create some new coloring techniques, tomorrow is "play with color" day...so exciting!

• Like 2

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA

It's been a while since I posted, but have been lurking! A few more of our collection:

Lemon-Lime-and-Bitter-300-150x150.jpgVanilla-Cream1-150x150.jpglime-chilli-150x150.jpgBaileys-150x150.jpg

From Left to Right: Lemon Lime & Bitters; Vanilla Bean; Lime Chili; Baileys Cream

About to embark on a quest to create some new coloring techniques, tomorrow is "play with color" day...so exciting!

Beautifully decorated.  I look forward to seeing the results of your next experiments.  If you don't mind telling, how did you get that mirror effect in the photograph?  Are the pieces sitting on glass or ... ?

Beautifully decorated.  I look forward to seeing the results of your next experiments.  If you don't mind telling, how did you get that mirror effect in the photograph?  Are the pieces sitting on glass or ... ?

Hi Jim

Just some photo editing software that allows a reflection, unsure what it is called, INKSCAPE I think

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA

It has been a while since I made any chocolates, so was in a bit of a panic about getting some done over the weekend for the upcoming workshop in Las Vegas.  Despite heat and humidity, I got lucky on the tempering and I was pretty pleased with how they turned out.

This one was decorated by my kids!  They had a blast.  It is apparently supposed to represent something in the computer game "Portal II."

1517640_10203110110730190_48212480312223

And this was mine (for Vegas)

10300274_10203110034688289_2954399900309

Not sure why that picture is so big...

It is filled with a piña colada white chocolate ganache.

Not pretty enough to post, but I also made dipped chocolates for the more adventuresome in the group - a durien and dark chocolate ganache enrobed in dark chocolate, as well as cabernet jellies.  

So what else is everyone taking to Las Vegas?

"Despite heat and humidity, I got lucky on the tempering...."  I was intrigued by that statement.  I live about 100 miles west of you and have been having terrible issues tempering lately (and we're supposed to be in the temperate Shenandoah Valley).  Humidity is my best guess since the same bags of white and dark chocolate worked fine a month or so ago.  Today I've got the AC going full blast, but still the dark choc. (Felchlin Maracaibo) thickened up within a very short time.  I'm at my wit's end.

Your chocolates for Vegas are beautiful, and the fillings sound very interesting.  I had to look up "durian."  It's a bit off-putting when Google says about a fruit:  "Despite its fetid smell, it is highly esteemed for its flavor."  So you found durian in Richmond?

Jim

Yes, humidity was the main problem.  It thickens up fast.  I tossed in a little bit of cocoa butter and that seemed to help.  And worked as fast as I could!  We fired up our AC for the first time on Thursday, so I was initially afraid that I was going to be trying to make chocolates in 80+ degree heat.  Luckily, we got it fixed Friday.

As for durien, it's pretty hard to describe.  The texture is sort of custard-like and very luxurious and creamy.  The flavor is quite sweet and rich, and I think it is delicious but my kids hate it.  And yea, it smells... strange.  I think "fetid" is an overstatement. The chocolate mellows the flavor, and enrobing the sliced ganache pretty much eliminates the smell.  I get durien at a local Asian grocery. They usually have frozen durian available, and occasionally the whole fruit.  I pretty much just use the frozen because the fruit is huge, and I'd end up having to freeze most of it anyway.