• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

Been playing with eggs (of course), and surprising myself with how much fun I'm having. Not sure I'll be able to part with "Poetry Egg," though. Sigh.

Rich

Rich, I'm loving the Gold Egg... how did you get that effect? Congrats on awesome work!

Hi Lana,

The gold egg was the simplest. I splattered blue, then gold lustre into the mold, warmed, tossed in a handful of cacao, then finally shot in the tempered chocolate. Sold the orange egg yesterday. Slightly sad, but it went to a good home!

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Funny - I ordered one of those a couple of days ago. It comes with 3 nozzles - hoping the 1.07 will minimize the blocking issues.

It'll still block--I keep a blow dryer nearby for frequent warming. It's important to ensure the washer in the nozzle head is completely screwed in before each use, or it will *definitely* block. Also, I keep the whole assembly warm for 30 minutes of so before use.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Hi Lana,

The gold egg was the simplest. I splattered blue, then gold lustre into the mold, warmed, tossed in a handful of cacao, then finally shot in the tempered chocolate. Sold the orange egg yesterday. Slightly sad, but it went to a good home!

Rich

Ahh, it was the handful of cacao giving that cool rustic look... 'the holes' :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ooooooo I'm stoked I get to post something in the 'showroom finish' thread, so used to the 'crappy chocolate' thread! Been messing around with chocolate a little more lately, and getting good results. Heres the best I've done with my polycarbonate. Has a simple caramel filling.

Filling.jpg

Caramel Bonbon.jpg

Funny - I ordered one of those a couple of days ago. It comes with 3 nozzles - hoping the 1.07 will minimize the blocking issues.

Kerry,

I finally killed my airbrush over the Easter rush (the threading that holds the lock-screw in place stripped) and replaced it with a Paasche VL internal mix, which I've now used twice and LOVE. It gives me complete control of the pressure and density directly from the trigger and doesn't stuff up as much. I was afraid the internal mix would be harder to clean, but it's actually much easier. Sorry to pass this along *after* you purchased you new brush!

Kind regards,

Rich

Edited by DancingLion Chocolates (log)

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Kerry,

I finally killed my airbrush over the Easter rush (the threading that holds the lock-screw in place stripped) and replaced it with a Paasche VL internal mix, which I've now used twice and LOVE. It gives me complete control of the pressure and density directly from the trigger and doesn't stuff up as much. I was afraid the internal mix would be harder to clean, but it's actually much easier. Sorry to pass this along *after* you purchased you new brush!

Kind regards,

Rich

Using the Paasch external mix with the large nozzle- and loving it! The Badger 350 - not so much!

Kerry,

Kind regards,

Rich

Using the Paasch external mix with the large nozzle- and loving it! The Badger 350 - not so much!

I agree. The Badger is more like an elephant compared with the Paasche. Still have mine, but haven't used it in years.

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

• 1 month later...

My rug rat's physiotherapist is getting married in a couple of weeks and I promised her that I'd make pralines for her wedding.

Her colour scheme is coral and reef green. Got some nice wraphia ribbon in the right colours but not as happy with the coral cocoa butter from Chef Rubber - mostly cause I picture coral as more pink than orange. I have some Passion pink on the way. Think I'll probably mix the two to get the colour I want.

IMG_0610.jpg

Coral orange hearts.

IMG_0612.jpg

Do these look a bit 'reef like' to you?

Ah - well for the splattering near the bottom - I used Ruth's (chocolot's) technique of spraying onto an offset spatula then flicking the air downward to get the pattern into the mold. I had the mold tipped at about 45 degrees so I could splatter onto one side at a time.

They both look beautiful! I think the colour of the hearts is right on, that's what I think "coral" should look like. I love that the splatter is different on the domes, looks really neat!

How are you going to package them - can you use clear tops/boxes, to show off the colours and patterns?

Ah - well for the splattering near the bottom - I used Ruth's (chocolot's) technique of spraying onto an offset spatula then flicking the air downward to get the pattern into the mold. I had the mold tipped at about 45 degrees so I could splatter onto one side at a time.

Thanks! I'm going to try that again. The first time I tried that technique, I couldn't get anything to actually get into the mold. Tipping the mold at 45 degrees might be important.