• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jonathan

Jonathan

29 minutes ago, MikanPotatos said:

Do you have a recipe for the nori and soy sauce caramel? Sounds great. Ive been enjoying miso caramel, curious on how soy sauce nori caramel tastes

Of course! So it’s roughly (working off the numbers in my head):

300 grams caster sugar

180 grams glucose

250-300 mL cream? Adjust as needed for consistency

50 grams butter

Nori to infuse into cream (a few sheets)

Soy sauce to taste. Just light soy, not dark. I used about 4-5 tablespoons since my butter was unsalted but I may have used more

Infuse the cream with the Nori + soy at a gentle heat, keep warm

Heat sugar + glucose till amber, about 155 celcius

Strain in the cream through a fine sieve then stir till the caramel hits around 104-106 celcius depending on what consistency you like. Take off the heat and emulsify the butter in

Jonathan

Jonathan

25 minutes ago, MikanPotatos said:

Do you have a recipe for the nori and soy sauce caramel? Sounds great. Ive been enjoying miso caramel, curious on how soy sauce nori caramel tastes

Of course! So it’s roughly (working off the numbers in my head):

300 grams caster sugar

180 grams glucose

250-300 mL cream? Adjust as needed for consistency

50 grams butter

Nori to infuse into cream (a few sheets)

Soy sauce to taste. Just light soy, not dark. I used about 4-5 tablespoons since my butter was unsalted but I may have used more

Infuse the cream with the Nori + soy at a gentle heat, keep warm

Heat sugar + glucose till amber, about 155 celcius

Strain in the cream through a fine sieve then stir till the caramel hits around 104-106 celcius depending on what consistency you like