• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

2 hours ago, Bentley said:

These dendrites are all everyone is doing all over Instagram.  Looks like Andrey definitely struck a nerve (see what I did there???).  

Very witty.

Story of my life:  Just as I order the material to get into this design, it has become ordinary (and soon passé). Oh well, it will be new to my customers.

• Like 4

On 8/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Here are my purple dendrite studies.

1479085003_IMG_21063.thumb.jpg.71c689f7242f70640f796439e9bd04af.jpg

1784650266_IMG_21093.thumb.jpg.4f87b5da2b0c668503dab5a836389edf.jpg

811172487_IMG_21103.thumb.jpg.d26aba84d5c873e188195ac97fad31d9.jpg2060146432_IMG_21083.thumb.jpg.7f0ba0a528a46e6087c8b2e73028ab70.jpg1746878155_IMG_21073.thumb.jpg.ce9e4ab333946277c1ef63d210a53506.jpg1116840394_IMG_21133.thumb.jpg.0c48dbb09eaf8c8274f8e8ad8bf3d87c.jpg

Some were dilute chocolate - other's black cocoa butter. Cocoa butter alone is fine - just make sure it's over tempered.

What do you mean by “overtempered”?

43 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

What do you mean by “overtempered”?

Thick and relatively cool - the way that chocolate gets when it’s sat too long in a melter

On 8/27/2018 at 7:01 PM, Jim D. said:

Very witty.

Story of my life:  Just as I order the material to get into this design, it has become ordinary (and soon passé). Oh well, it will be new to my customers.

I always try to remind myself not to compare everything I do to the people I follow on Instagram (e.g. Melissa Coppel, Andrey Dubovic) because my customers have certainly never seen the likes of their works and probably never will! It’s okay that the people you follow on social media are creating this design, like you said it will be something brand new for your customers!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Daniel D said:

I always try to remind myself not to compare everything I do to the people I follow on Instagram (e.g. Melissa Coppel, Andrey Dubovic) because my customers have certainly never seen the likes of their works and probably never will! It’s okay that the people you follow on social media are creating this design, like you said it will be something brand new for your customers!

Yeah, it's easy to get all sucked into a "world", and only see what you see, believing that everyone knows something - when the truth is that just a very small click of people see Coppel's work, as you write. I've learned this myself recently. :D 

• Like 1

With so much gorgeousness in this thread I was hesitant to post anything, but i made these for a dinner party tonight (filled with Greweling’s flowing caramel)  and they are among the nicest I have ever made. I had meant to try the dendritic technique but remembered too late that I should have molded a solid piece first, so simple finger swipes it was. Happily, it all worked out in the end!

53C780BC-274F-49F5-B2C1-A1EAC18E9849.thumb.jpeg.04b52b3a884e053e8325c24fcd69ca71.jpeg

• Like 12

Patty

40 minutes ago, patris said:

With so much gorgeousness in this thread I was hesitant to post anything, but i made these for a dinner party tonight (filled with Greweling’s flowing caramel)  and they are among the nicest I have ever made. 

Your gorgeousness can stand up to anything I’ve seen here!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It occurs to me that the dendritic technique could be used by those who wish to avoid colour cocoa butters.

I was thinking I might try it with white or caramelized white in this instance, as well as with colored cocoa butter. At the risk of getting scolded for being off topic I can tell you it works a treat on pottery with stoneware slip! (I imagine I will store or serve food of some type in this bowl once it is fired...)

2D5D140D-96D4-49D5-97D9-1AB957D4ACB3.thumb.jpeg.08bc657c44a6de0987737a578d66afbf.jpeg

• Like 10

Patty

24 minutes ago, patris said:

I was thinking I might try it with white or caramelized white in this instance, as well as with colored cocoa butter. At the risk of getting scolded for being off topic I can tell you it works a treat on pottery with stoneware slip! (I imagine I will store or serve food of some type in this bowl once it is fired...)

2D5D140D-96D4-49D5-97D9-1AB957D4ACB3.thumb.jpeg.08bc657c44a6de0987737a578d66afbf.jpeg

Wonderful - next chocolate dipping bowl needs to be decorated that way!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, patris said:

With so much gorgeousness in this thread I was hesitant to post anything, but i made these for a dinner party tonight (filled with Greweling’s flowing caramel)  and they are among the nicest I have ever made.

You hardly need to worry. These are as perfect as anything we've seen here! Great job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few of my latest.  Blueberry with sheep's yogurt and granola crunch; Cinnamon, honey & chartreuse; and House roasted Rwandan espresso, passion fruit ganache, passion fruit caramel. My run at the dendritic effect. Need to keep playing with it but still cool. I'm already for a winter 'frost on windshield' chocolate.

LateSummer2018.thumb.jpg.d2b40d72ff83a38d1f6f996571d6be4d.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, patris said:

With so much gorgeousness in this thread I was hesitant to post anything

No need to worry about that, those look amazing.

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It occurs to me that the dendritic technique could be used by those who wish to avoid colour cocoa butters.

It occurs to me too... now. :D

• Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

It was you I was thinking about!

Confession time: it's not so much that I want to avoid colored cocoa butters, it's more I don't want to pay for colored cocoa butters on a recurring basis. :$ :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

21 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Confession time: it's not so much that I want to avoid colored cocoa butters, it's more I don't want to pay for colored cocoa butters on a recurring basis. :$ :D

Don't blame you - I've discovered a number of rancid colored cocoa butters in my collection that I've had to pitch. Painful!

21 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Honestly though, you go through so little. You know I'm mixing my own now which really cuts back on costs, but also I've realized that if I cap my airgun gravity feed bowl I used about a third of what I was using with no cap. I'm sure it has to do with airflow.

56 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Honestly though, you go through so little. You know I'm mixing my own now which really cuts back on costs, but also I've realized that if I cap my airgun gravity feed bowl I used about a third of what I was using with no cap. I'm sure it has to do with airflow.

my reason for using the cap is simpler - I spill it everywhere if I don't have the lid on :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2