• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

punk patissier

Sorry the photos are all on their side.

Today was about Easter eggs.

and Fresh Mint

and Root Beer Float

All the chocolates look beautiful, but those blue robin's eggs are really amazing!

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

No masking in involved. I first spray the green down on one end of the cavity. That is a short burst just to give a small area of color. Then I spray the yellow moving from behind the green towards the center of the cavity. Finally, I spray the white over the whole area. I need to make sure that I cover the rest of the cavity down the sides more completely, but I also don't want to waste cocoa butter given how expensive it is (and not nice tasting).

Oh, and the "stripe" is just milk chocolate that I piped across the mold, dropping some in a line through each cavity. I rather like the semi-random nature of the path it takes.

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

It was a long weekend this weekend, so I pushed out some chocolates :)

555096_299224780205403_92841761_n.jpg

601579_299224773538737_1427603315_n.jpg

601040_299224666872081_1090151785_n.jpg

Cool texture sheet... what company is it from? I've never seen it before.

My goodness, I don't know why I don't look at this thread more often. Everyone's work is amazing! Ruth, love your eggs. Steve, the Guiness bonbons are awesome and keychris - those zebra hearts are so cool! ...and that's just this page!

I'll have to figure out how to post a picture again and come out to play :)

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

No masking in involved. I first spray the green down on one end of the cavity. That is a short burst just to give a small area of color. Then I spray the yellow moving from behind the green towards the center of the cavity. Finally, I spray the white over the whole area. I need to make sure that I cover the rest of the cavity down the sides more completely, but I also don't want to waste cocoa butter given how expensive it is (and not nice tasting).

Oh, and the "stripe" is just milk chocolate that I piped across the mold, dropping some in a line through each cavity. I rather like the semi-random nature of the path it takes.

Steve, thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Did not realize that the "stripe" was milk chocolate, thought it was red colored cocoa butter. Some very interesting effects.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Swore I was done making eggs - but wanted to try out a new to me compressor - so let myself be talked into a batch of large fondant eggs for one of the docs.

Fuji is still around - but in the process of playing with young Kyle's compressor and Badger airbrush I decided I needed a regular compressor (read quiet) for quick work. I found two identical, very quiet compressors on Kijiji, both well away from where I live, and e-mailed to ask if they would consider shipping figuring neither would answer. Both responded within a few minutes of each other! So dhardy123 has one of them now and I the other.

It is an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet - really quiet and demand triggered. Now to work around the frustration of a blocking badger - I've had coloured cocoa butter under my nails for a week.

408944_305094726285075_919762820_n.jpg

A kahlua caramel. A few air bubbles, but overall I'm happy with them - had to leave in the cabinet for two days before I could cap them though, the caramel is *very* soft!

and my 'signature' chocolate: the ladybird mold.

577445_305095576284990_1364372396_n.jpg

I'll definitely be able to do those better when I have saved enough to spray!

Edited by keychris (log)

Fuji is still around - but in the process of playing with young Kyle's compressor and Badger airbrush I decided I needed a regular compressor (read quiet) for quick work. I found two identical, very quiet compressors on Kijiji, both well away from where I live, and e-mailed to ask if they would consider shipping figuring neither would answer. Both responded within a few minutes of each other! So dhardy123 has one of them now and I the other.

It is an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet - really quiet and demand triggered. Now to work around the frustration of a blocking badger - I've had coloured cocoa butter under my nails for a week.

If you have a dehydrator, put the Badger in there for a while and let it all melt. Then attach it to the compressor and blow it clean. Works like a charm.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'll definitely be able to do those better when I have saved enough to spray!

The bugs are very funky--definitely keep up on them. You're hand-dropped the white dots, then painting or airbrushing the red shell?

Kind regards,

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Rich - I've been looking at the eggs on your website. They are quite gorgeous. I was quite intrigued by Ovum 4 and 5. Did you drop a drop of very lean coloured cocoa butter then hit it with an empty airbrush? Amazing effect on the green and gold egg as well. Actually amazing effects on all of them!

Rich - I've been looking at the eggs on your website. They are quite gorgeous. I was quite intrigued by Ovum 4 and 5. Did you drop a drop of very lean coloured cocoa butter then hit it with an empty airbrush? Amazing effect on the green and gold egg as well. Actually amazing effects on all of them!

Hi Kerry,

Pretty close. I blast a nearly-dry airbrush for 3-4 second each spot, then move on--a trick I picked up while visiting Paul Debondt in Pisa. Fill in afterward with an airbrush or colored lustre. There are a few wilder eggs on our facebook page that haven't made it to the site yet.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Hi Kerry,

Pretty close. I blast a nearly-dry airbrush for 3-4 second each spot, then move on--a trick I picked up while visiting Paul Debondt in Pisa. Fill in afterward with an airbrush or colored lustre. There are a few wilder eggs on our facebook page that haven't made it to the site yet.

Rich

Looking at your facebook page - I'm interested in what sort of an airbrush you are using - looks like an external mix of some sort?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Hi Kerry,

Rich

Looking at your facebook page - I'm interested in what sort of an airbrush you are using - looks like an external mix of some sort?

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes/single-action/h-1l

It's a little finicky with cocoa butter--have to keep it warm--but I like the control, especially with the finer tip.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com