• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food gear classifieds?

jrshaul

When looking for secondhand gear of a specialized nature, I've had my best luck making acquisitions through online classifieds specific to the activity in question. However, I've yet to find anything of the type for culinary gear, save perhaps for "The Chocolate Life," which is somewhat specialized. I would like to enrich my selection of tools despite my limited budget, but finding copies of the Wybauw books or polycarbonate molds has been difficult. Can anyone suggest a relevant forum?

Finding unwanted polycarbonate molds is going to be difficult. I search ebay every now and then, sometimes I've seen a great deal on a good shape, but many other times I find a sort of odd designs that are quite apparent that no one wants. I've some decent bonbon shapes on clearance at Kerekes, perhaps try looking there, but otherwise it seems the polycarbonate molds are held on to by many for obvious reasons.

I need a bit more than the molds, though - I'd like to pick up a good immersion blender and some of the more highly specific tools of confection. A complete set of Wybauw's "Fine Chocolates" trilogy is over $200 new, and the used prices on Amazon aren't great.