• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide – what to buy or ask for, for Christmas?

Robert Jueneman

In fact, heat loss with my 28L Campingaz beverage cooler was less with ping pong balls on the water surface plus lid than with the lid only.

It's good to know that ping pong balls can take the heat.

I looked at 25mm polypropylene balls, but they're expensive, no matter the source.

Surprisingly, solid polypropylene balls are typically less expensive, but of little use.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It appears that most, is not all, Igloo, Coleman and Rubbermaid cooler lids are not insulated, other than the dead air space.

Does anyone know for sure?

Urethane spray foam is a powerful insulator.

How would one ensure that it expands to all areas in a long oddly shaped lid?

~Martin

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

How would one ensure that it expands to all areas in a long oddly shaped lid?

Can you try on a practice cooler first?

I've used the two part stuff one mixes just before use. The mixture becomes thicker as it expands; with proper hole placement and juggling around of the lid you will get pretty complete coverage. And perfection doesn't matter. If you do a 90% job the insulation gain will be 90% of what it could have been. Just like patching 9 out of 10 leaks in the bottom of a (porous) bucket; the bucket still leaks, but more slowly.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Thanks!

I'll look into it further.

Drilling several holes would certainly help, but I'm afraid that may encourage cracking.

I've noticed on some coolers owned by family & friends that the lids have a tendency to crack, but that may be due to excessive UV exposure when folks leave them out in the sun for an extended period of time.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay close enough attention to determine if a certain brand is more prone to cracking.

~Martin

get this stuffL:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbaxj/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

make sure its the version that does not expand, or your top will distort and no longer fit. drill a series of holes on each side a little larger than the thin applicator tip.

insert on one side and fill and pull out slowly while filling. some will come out the other side's holes. wipe clean and put the top back on to cure. make sure its clean or it will stick.

use plastic disposable gloves. you cant reuse what's left as the stuff cures in the tube and the exit hole. but cheap.

cut out your access wholes with a key hole saw after the top cures.

time to get to work on your project!

get this stuffL:

http://www.homedepot...1&storeId=10051

make sure its the version that does not expand, or your top will distort and no longer fit. drill a series of holes on each side a little larger than the thin applicator tip.

insert on one side and fill and pull out slowly while filling. some will come out the other side's holes. wipe clean and put the top back on to cure. make sure its clean or it will stick.

use plastic disposable gloves. you cant reuse what's left as the stuff cures in the tube and the exit hole. but cheap.

cut out your access wholes with a key hole saw after the top cures.

Thanks!

time to get to work on your project!

I'm getting there!

I ordered the Geratherm basal thermometer today.

~Martin

remember: an old folded blanket also works !

you will have to fold it .... :blink:

No doubt, but I I'd like to keep the set-up as neat looking as possible.

I don't want to hear any complaints from "the one who must be obeyed"! :biggrin:

~Martin :smile:

Yippee!!!!

The FMM and the Geratherm basal thermometer both arrived today!

~Martin :biggrin:

But presearing forces to wait, the food can't be vacuum packed until it has completely cooled again... Which often is a hassle!

This isn't an issue using the "snip the corner" method with an impulse sealer:

http://forums.egulle...31#entry1902431

I generally need a bit of stock later, so the liquid requirement is acceptable to me. The liquid does need sieving afterward; were one deliberately making stock one would blanch first as the Chinese do.

look into Thermapens. sigh up at their web-site, wait for the on-sale ones. last batch of on sale was purple.

These are awesome, required equipment in the BBQ community. Nothing else comes close. One can watch the readout change as the probe passes through a thin piece of fish, with meaningful results. They are worth the price.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

See the wikiGullet page Reference thermometer: Thermapen is calibrated, accuracy ±0.4°C. Greisinger GTH 175/Pt - K is similiar price (today 68.20€ excl. German VAT, ~ 91USD), accuracy ±0.25°C.

Hi Pedro, I have a meter, data logger and a few K-type thermocouples from Thermoworks, but I am looking for a EU-based provider. I had a look at the Greisinger site but they claim to be "directed exclusively at commercial or industrial consumers" and prices are not shown. Do they sell retail, or do you buy at a reseller?

In Australia I've bought retail from them via email order. They are prompt in communication and very helpful.

The prices only show up once you register and log into the site.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Nickrey, how did you go with Vac Star replacement? I got mine last week and it is a different animal! I can see that it circulates the water much better than the old one. WIth old one, eggs were sitting on the bottom, the new one moves them around my box.

I did not have to send the defect one for repair any more. Do you think there is way to fix it? The thermometer and the electronics work, it is probably this bent motor axis that is causing trouble...

look into Thermapens.

I've had one on my wishlist for some time......guess I'll have to spring for one soon.

My local rinky-dink restaurant suppy doesn't stock 18 or 22 quart polycarbonate containers. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!

~Martin

you didnt get a polycarbonate with your FMM?

use any container that the FMM fits in. Aim for a 4 hour initial testing of something of interest at a temp of interest.

eventually move to that cooler. eventually.