• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide – what to buy or ask for, for Christmas?

Robert Jueneman

I woke up this morning to a SVM alarm. Turns out the temperature probe went haywire, thought it was cooking at 185 degress when in fact the water was at 132. Well, those short ribs go in the trash. I reached out to FMS and decided to pick up the FMM and a couple more temp probes. My rice cooker setup was pretty small so looking forward to using a poly container once I get the FMM

If you want to absolutely avoid sensor failure, you might order a “mineral insulated sensor” which has a 30cm long metal mantle tube so the cable-mantle junction is outside the water; these sensors are of course more expensive, but IMHO worth their price (mine is in the water 24h/365d since more than a year, I guess it must be two years now). I don't know if FMS have them on stock or only on special order.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

ps. Thanks for the brining calculator on your web site, I used it yesterday.

I'm glad you found it useful.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So, tl;dr, buy a SideKIC for cheap, or spend a couple of hundred more on something that might last quite a bit longer?

I went ahead and bought the SideKIC -- it's a good device to start with as you only need a container for water. And, should I feel the need for something bigger and better, I'll always have the SideKIC for a secondary water bath.

I started a new thread and am looking for advice on cook/chill...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I received my CDN Q2-450X thermometer today, and my CVS KD-1342 basal thermometer as well. (I noticed that the model number has been transposed elsewhere as KD-1432 -- look for item no. 233142 in stores.)

A quick test indicates that the SideKic might be 0.5F over. Better than under, I suppose. Will let things settle down a bit and try again later against my Thermapen...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I just ordered the Vac-Star Sous-Vide Chef II and I spent the weekend browsing the posts here. Thanks for all those who have put in valuable contributions. I impressed and feel daunted but I know I'll have responses to my questions here.

Just above you have touched upon the metal corrosion issue. In Brussels, water is very, very hard. What would you do in such cases? A glug of vinegar? That what I do for the steamer, etc.

Thanks for your guidance

I have received mine about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it broke after 30 minutes, the propeller that circulates water and the temperature reading went off. Vac star has been very quick to arrange DHL pickup and hopefully I am receiving a new unit today. In the meantime, I have been using the unit I my friend ordered, and it seems very temp stable, fast and silent.

Could you both keep us updated regarding the Vac-Star Sous-Vide Chef II. I have been waiting for it to be available (out of stock just when I was about to order), but now I'm a bit worried about quality. What do you think about the replacement unit?

I just ordered the Vac-Star Sous-Vide Chef II and I spent the weekend browsing the posts here. Thanks for all those who have put in valuable contributions. I impressed and feel daunted but I know I'll have responses to my questions here.

Just above you have touched upon the metal corrosion issue. In Brussels, water is very, very hard. What would you do in such cases? A glug of vinegar? That what I do for the steamer, etc.

Thanks for your guidance

I have received mine about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it broke after 30 minutes, the propeller that circulates water and the temperature reading went off. Vac star has been very quick to arrange DHL pickup and hopefully I am receiving a new unit today. In the meantime, I have been using the unit I my friend ordered, and it seems very temp stable, fast and silent.

Could you both keep us updated regarding the Vac-Star Sous-Vide Chef II. I have been waiting for it to be available (out of stock just when I was about to order), but now I'm a bit worried about quality. What do you think about the replacement unit?

Mine will be shipped only after the 10th Jan, they are closed for Christmas ... I'll report when I receive it

I ordered the SousVideMagic 1500D HD.....can't wait!

~Martin

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thanks for your guidance

Mine will be shipped only after the 10th Jan, they are closed for Christmas ... I'll report when I receive it

I finally had a great surprise for the New Year Eve's Party - my Vac Star Sous-Vide Chef II arrived on Saturday! I've already done 63°C eggs, 45°C salmon and tonight for the party we'll have duck breast at 57.5°. It's silent gets to temperature quickly and for the moment (it's only three days old), I'm happy :-)

I have been using two Vac Star circulators for a couple of weeks now. On the positive side, after the initial breakdown that was quickly repaired, they have been performing well. Quick, silent and stable temp.

Happy in that respect. Negatives: first unit broke after only 30 mins of usage, is that a sign of poor quality in general or ws it just bad luck? Also, the end time signal does not work, so I use other timers.

Overall, happy so far for the pricei paid, just hope it will not break soon.

I received the controller today.

Very prompt shipping and delivery, in spite of the weekend and holiday.

I do wish that Fresh Meal Solutions would do a better job of communicating.

I sent a couple questions several days ago....via their preferred method.....and have not received a response.

I find that a bit disturbing.

~Martin

I do wish that Fresh Meal Solutions would do a better job of communicating.

I sent a couple questions several days ago....via their preferred method.....and have not received a response.

I find that a bit disturbing.

~Martin

I'm surprised at that, I have also recently bought their new eiPot system, had several questions and they were all answered by email really promptly (in minutes or hours rather than days).

It seems to me that a few of the sous-vide equipment makers are essentially one-person companies. I understand it is a small market and that it is the price we pay for being somehow "innovators" with the technique at a domestic level. Don't get me wrong, I do own units from both Addélice and FMM, which both seem to be just one-person, and I am happy with them, but this poses a risk in terms of support or brand survival which has to be evaluated when buying...

All of us buy computers and run into the problem that "the operating system is no longer supported for your piece of equipment." Support and built-in obsolescence are just as much an issue in large multinational corporations as sustainability is in smaller operations. We shouldn't over-estimate risk for one and under-estimate for the other. In all, I'd say that this issue balances itself out. Go with the equipment that you prefer.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I stopped at the local pet shop looking for silicone air tubing that'll take the heat, I told them that I like to keep my aquariums at no less than 130 degrees.

:blink: was the look I got! LOL

~Martin

Luckily, silicone tubing is very easy to obtain......here in America, anyway.

It's usually blue in color and available almost anywhere aquarium stuff is sold.

~Martin

Will an aluminum coffee urn work okay as a vessel, or should I go with stainless steel?

I don't generally like to use aluminum around food, but since it's not coming into direct contact and the price is more reasonable, I'm considering it.

~Martin

Nothing wrong with aluminum for a sous vide vessel. UNLESS you sometimes want to use it as the equivalent of a CrockPot for direct cooking in oil or fat, or heating stock, without the bags.

However, aluminum conducts heat better than stainless steel, and a whole lot better than a plastic tank (like one from Cambro), so you may see some problems with heat loss. So you might want to consider some kind of insulation.

Thanks!

I ventured off to a couple thrift stores looking for a coffee urn or a slow cooker, but no luck.

I think I may start off with a brand new basic slow cooker even though I hate having anything like that around that has a glass lid....too many bad experiences!!! LOL

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

slow cooker

I've used their controller for years in various ways, e.g. a with a modified soup warmer, with best success with a hot plate and a giant stock pot. Typically I put a New England bean pot inside the water bath, allowing seasoning and additions as I go. Killer beans and braises.

Now that I'm hooked on the impulse sealer chamber vacuum pouch approach (seal once, nick corner, bubble out air in a water bath, seal again, it really works better than anything short of an actual chamber machine) I want a more reliable and energy efficient bath for long cooks. A commercial rice cooker is the canonical choice, I just haven't picked one.

(This is for my east coast kitchen; my west coast kitchen has a Sous Vide Supreme which is a pain to keep taking out and putting away. I'm eagerly awaiting the era of affordable (e.g. Anova) immersion circulators.)

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."