• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can't stop until they are all gone!

PSmith

Which food can you not stop eating until you have scoffed the whole lot?

For me it is Malt Loaf. Not sure if it is available World Wide, but it is a heavy sticky bread made with malt and dried fruit. Normally eaten with butter.

800px-Malt_loaf.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_loaf

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

I only have one...pistachios.

I seriously ate a 1/2 pound bag last night in one sitting. The only food I kinda of go into a trance and when I wake up the bag is empty...

Hey you stole my answer! :raz: My fingertips will be ragged from tearing open the shells and eating an entire bag. I have little restraint when it comes to pistachios. I almost fear them. Thankfully they have become outrageously expensive and splurging on the little buggers is kept to "treat" experiences. OK so they are binge experiences. Semantics...

Oh. One more along the lines of pistachios... Unshelled roasted salted sunflower seeds. I am a fidgeter, and fiddling with getting them open and into my mouth, along with the intense saltiness, is heaven for me. I especially fidget while I'm thinking, so when writing big papers I often wind up with a massive pile of sunflower shells surrounding me, and I feel sick from having eaten so many...

I seriously ate a 1/2 pound bag last night in one sitting. The only food I kinda of go into a trance and when I wake up the bag is empty...

Hey you stole my answer! :raz: My fingertips will be ragged from tearing open the shells and eating an entire bag. I have little restraint when it comes to pistachios. I almost fear them. Thankfully they have become outrageously expensive and splurging on the little buggers is kept to "treat" experiences. OK so they are binge experiences. Semantics...

I buy the SHELLED pistachios at the local middle eastern store. They are always very fresh because the store has a rapid turnover because we have a significant population of middle eastern and north African residents who use a lot of nuts and dried fruits.

The price is also right - actually less than the online sources of pistachios in the shell... These are raw and it is easy to roast and salt them to your taste.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I buy the SHELLED pistachios at the local middle eastern store. They are always very fresh because the store has a rapid turnover because we have a significant population of middle eastern and north African residents who use a lot of nuts and dried fruits.

The price is also right - actually less than the online sources of pistachios in the shell... These are raw and it is easy to roast and salt them to your taste.

Oh, but half the fun is that you have to open each one! And it's a nice limiting factor... if they became even more mindless to eat, they'd be gone even faster.

It's sad, since (here, at least), it's more economical to get them shelled... I weighed some unshelled pistachios recently, and then weighed the shells after, and found the shells were ~45% of the weight!

Oh, God yes. They are proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

And Cheese corn. yes, Dan Dee cheese corn.

---------------------------------------

+1 for pistachios. Oooh, it's a good thing they're so hard to find here, because I can eat 2-3 pounds of them in a sitting without even pausing to think or breathe.

The only other thing that does that to me are highly molasses-y gingersnaps of the type my Scottish gran used to make (which she passed, I inherited her recipe books, which gives me a terrible power in this respect). The recipe does something like 10 dozen snaps, and if I test even one for quality control, I'll return to consciousness and there will be crumbs left and nothing else.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Love pistachios (they've been on sale recently, so having them for breakfast every morning with Saudi dates, yum), weak in the knees for chips and dip, but the treat that makes me lose self control is lemon curd. It can be jarred or it can be freshly made, but it is irresistible to me. (The jarred stuff has to be good, though. The industrial grade lemon curd isn't worth using as floor wax.) It's the "just one more spoonful" and the next thing you know, it's almost gone and then you HAVE to finish it so you can throw away the jar or wash the bowl to hide the evidence of your shameful gluttony and weakness. I never have it in the house.

And by the way, PSmith, I'd never heard of malt loaf but it sounds lovely. If I can find a malt supply here, I want to try it...with butter!

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

For me the worst one is cashews! I love anything salty though, especially crunchy and salty together. Like Crunchy Cheetos.

Also, Costco has those big containers of peanut-butter-filled-pretzels! OMG, I only buy them maybe once a year because they're so addictive.

The taco chips at my favorite Mexican restaurant are so good because they're fresh and usually still warm from the oven... heaven.

Oh, but half the fun is that you have to open each one! And it's a nice limiting factor... if they became even more mindless to eat, they'd be gone even faster.

It's sad, since (here, at least), it's more economical to get them shelled... I weighed some unshelled pistachios recently, and then weighed the shells after, and found the shells were ~45% of the weight!

The pain pleasure principle