• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confused by Recipe in Notter's "Art of the Chocolatier"

Jim D.

I have been using some recipes in Ewald Notter's book and have come across a puzzle. In two recipes (key lime pralines, page 178, and mint pralines, page 186) he uses what he calls a "cracker," more like a cookie, made of chocolate and feuilletine, which eventually becomes the base of the praline. This part of both recipes calls for chocolate, cocoa butter, feuilletine (or corn flakes as a substitute), and butter. But he never mentions adding the butter. Instead he calls for adding the cocoa butter twice. I would assume the second mention is meant to be the butter, but at that point in the recipe he specifically says "Add the liquid cocoa butter..." after he has called for adding it previously.

Has anyone tried either of these recipes or have a suggestion as to what was intended? Any help would be appreciated.

I emailed Notter when I tried the Key Lime recipe and received the following reply:

"Thank you for question. Step 4 should tell you to add the soft butter. Sorry about this mistake, didn't catch it."

It is most likely the same for the same for the Mint Praline.

I emailed Notter when I tried the Key Lime recipe and received the following reply:

"Thank you for question. Step 4 should tell you to add the soft butter. Sorry about this mistake, didn't catch it."

It is most likely the same for the same for the Mint Praline.

Thanks you very much for that information. It really helps.