• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasso ham – what to do with it?

Emily_R

Our local supermarket just got in some D'artagnan tasso ham, and I couldn't resist buying some since a local restaurant makes an incredible tasso gravy to go with their fried chicken. But beyond gravy, I'm not sure what to do with it - from what I gather, it is something used in small quantities essentially as a seasoning? So, I was thinking of adding some to pan fried brussels sprouts, for example. But other ways to use it? And is it ever used in larger quantities as more of a main protein?

I love me some shrimp and grits! And so very easy to prepare. There are some roasted Hatch Chiles in the freezer just waiting to liven up this preparation...

And there is no shame in using minute grits. I've never seen the difference.

I'm a grits hater, but will definitely be trying the jambalaya. In the meantime, I found a killer use of some... I chopped up about half a cup of tasso and browned it in bacon fat. Took that out of the pan, and added a bunch of shredded brussels sprouts, and browned / cooked those. Then added a brown rice / red rice mix (already cooked), and the tasso back to the pan, and then when they were all pan fried together, hit it with a sprinkling of white balsamic vinegar, and a big handful of coarsely shredded romano cheese. So so good, and a super quick weeknight dinner!

Use it just like bacon or smoky ham to season a dish. I use it most often to season beans...red, white, purple hull peas, black eyes, or baby green limas (pictured at link) or fresh green beans. It will also make a plain little cream sauce into something delicious.

http://bouillie.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/p61001071.jpg

Edited by HungryC (log)