• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Cooking at Home, 2007 – 2012

Jen Keenan

Yum! Any idea why it turned out juicier? Perhaps the chicken?

Patrick – thanks! The juiciness seems to be typical of the Big Green Egg, probably because it is a ceramic cooker and very well sealed. We went to a Big Green Egg festival, and all of the chicken dishes, ribs, etc. were remarkably juicy and tender.

I had the leftovers for lunch today, and I don't think I have ever had such tender chicken with a pronounced smoky grill flavor.

Giving David Thompson's Beef Rendang another go. I doubled the recipe.I didn't let it cook in the fat as long this time, so there is some of the coconut milk solids remaining. This was on the stove for 5 hours while I was making others things to stock up the freezer for the holidays.

At the beginning:

2 rendang7978.jpg

After 3 hours:

3 Rendang 3 hours 7993.jpg

At 5 hours:

5 hour Beef Rendang8000.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had to wait until tonight to enjoy the Beef Rendang made Saturday.

final Rendang 8023.jpg

Ate this with Jasmine rice, leftover carrots, and some bok choi.

Coconut-ty, spicy, tender, moist...worth the effort and wait! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Manila clams were lively at the supermarket today. So, 2 stalks of lemongrass, sliced onion, fresh ginger, bit of garlic, crushed corriander seeds, zest and juice of one lime and one orange, fresh cilantro, 1 Thai chili, 1/2 cup coconut milk gave us this for our supper with jamine rice and gai lan...

Steamed Thai lemongrass coconut milk clams8041.jpg

gai lan 8038.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Clams for me, please!

Broiled red snapper: Slashed and marinated with coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce, lime leaves and sugar. Baked in foil and garnished with red bell pepper and slivered lime leaves.

p1298878726-4.jpg

Bean sprout pork: With garlic, white pepper, sugar, and scallions. Jasmine rice, salad, and eternal cucumbers escaped documentation.

p1298878740-4.jpg

OK Bruce. I'm inspired to cook a whole red snapper. That looks ridiculously good. (And the bean sprouts with pork seems like a perfect accompaniment.)

Do you have access to great fresh seafood down in Maryland?

We're both from New England and always find the NYC selection wanting in freshness, except when we strike it lucky.

Patrick – thank you, and good luck with the whole fish. Baked en papillote is pretty easy. I would have used banana leaves if we had any.

Do you have access to great fresh seafood down in Maryland?

We have a decent fishmonger not too far away, but lately the grocery store has carried rather perky red snapper.

Stir-fried curry pork with green beans, broccoli with oyster sauce, jasmine rice, eternal cukes. Mrs. C and younger son particularly liked the broccoli.

p1303382292-4.jpg