• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jungsik -

babern38

My wife and I had our first trip to Jungsik this Saturday and had an amazing meal. The 7+course tasting menu was fantastically conceived in progression, ingredients, and flavors. I feel they had an excellent balance of french and korean influences with a keen eye for presentation.

A standout dish was the sea urchin served with crispy quinoa and squid ink rice with shredded cabbage and I think tomatoes if I recall. My wife nailed the description of both the presentation invoking that of taco salad as well as the flavors echoing that dish but with the seawater taste of uni instead of ground beef. I rarely find myself enjoying Uni, but the uniqueness and new but familiar idea of this dish made it a winner.

I also must give praise to one of the most tender and well prepared pieces of wagyu I've ever had. I've always wanted to like Kimchi, but there is something about the bitter/pungentness that prevents my true enjoyment of it. I wonder now if it has something to do with the cabbage, because the plate was sauced with the brilliant red kimchi sauch around the wagyu adding wonderful contrast and spicy flavor to the mouthwatering beef.

Service was also extremely friendly, making sure to congratulate us on our anniversary in both person, as well as the custom printed menu and plating of a dessert course.

Our only real marginal/negative comment would be that the dining room itself, while very clean and minimalist, was a bit cold and could greatly benefit from one or two pieces of wall art.

I have not heard much about Jungsik from my foodie friends or on message boards, but given our wonderful experience felt it necessary to encourage those looking for a new fine dining experience to check it out. I struggle to think of any other korean based restaurant anywhere near this level.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard much about Jungsik from my foodie friends or on message boards, but given our wonderful experience felt it necessary to encourage those looking for a new fine dining experience to check it out. I struggle to think of any other korean based restaurant anywhere near this level.

I've been to Jungsik and think it is excellent. Jungsik receives a lot of love from the Chowhound Manhattan board.